Thread: Sony TV

Question Budget HD TVs?

I'm thinking of purchasing a 23' inch HD ready tv my budget is 300 I'd prefer sony but everything I look at is over my budget can anyone recommend any sites that are reasonable.
    Last edited by jimmycliff; 04-30-2007 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Title was not relevant to purpose of topic.

i use b&h photo
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

I have just come accross something which may be within my budget. However, I am not so sure about the brand and I do not know much about the technical details of HD TV. Any advice on this HD compatible TV model would be very much appreciated:
    LG 23LC1RB - 23" LCD TV - widescreen - 720p - HDTV - IT247.com

Personally I wouldn't touch anything which didn't support 1080 (i or P).

I don't really class 720 as being HD, but more of an in between. But that's just me. I shoot in 1080, so I'd want to see 1080.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    Personally I wouldn't touch anything which didn't support 1080 (i or P).

I don't really class 720 as being HD, but more of an in between. But that's just me. I shoot in 1080, so I'd want to see 1080.
    After doing some research on the tech side of HD ready and HDTVs I may disagree with you on the above! Quality of 720p30 is just as good as 1080i20 both of which are used widely in European countries. In fact 720p50 is claimed to have a superior picture quality to that of 1080i20. The secret lies with the meanings of i and p, plus the frame rate per second denoted at the end.

The top is 1080p without an argument, but the fact that there are no TV transmissions in that format at this time due to band width limitations, would limit the use of such an expensive item (and they are at least double the price of a 720p) to just personal DVD and games consoles which might support it. In any case, unless your shooting and recording equipment supports 1080p it makes no difference to the quality displayed. It would be a very expensive choice indeed...

Ok, maybe you should have mentioned it was only for watching tv. You seemed to have miss-interperated my message. Also, if you ever start shooting video in HD, you may regret only being able to see it in 720.

Yes I am aware of the differences in Interlaced and progressive, although i20? not a particularly standard setting. (p30 = i60) (i20=p10 which would be pretty lousy).

And as you've probably been watching 576i50 for many years, have you ever complained about noticable interlacing before?

But yes 1080P is the daddy! (at the moment) and as I have the ability to produce said material, I'm still going to stick to my original statement.

Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    Ok, maybe you should have mentioned it was only for watching tv. You seemed to have miss-interperated my message. Also, if you ever start shooting video in HD, you may regret only being able to see it in 720.

Yes I am aware of the differences in Interlaced and progressive, although i20? not a particularly standard setting. (p30 = i60) (i20=p10 which would be pretty lousy).

And as you've probably been watching 576i50 for many years, have you ever complained about noticable interlacing before?

But yes 1080P is the daddy! (at the moment) and as I have the ability to produce said material, I'm still going to stick to my original statement.
    Thanks for your help and advice MOSH. I do some home recording but nothing professional. That is why I would prefer to have something I can use for both watching TV, playing games, and watching my recordings. I cannot afford to buy a TV just for watching my recordings...

Thanks again for your suggestions.