Thread: Making a disc to play sound in CD player & vision on PC

Default Making a disc to play sound in CD player & vision on PC

I am editing a small music video for my son's scout group and I want to be able to have the discs so that they can play the music track only in a CD player or watch the video clip (with sound) on a PC or a DVD player.

I tried an SVCD but it won't play in a CD player. Should I try making a mixed disc with SVCD and files that a CD player will support? Or is there another way?

Thanks!

I've never used it (to date) but I know Nero has an option to build a dual-type disk. Can;t remember exactly what term is given to it. You can specify music tracks and you get an audio CD playable in any CD player. Also, it allows the equivalent of CD-ROM content whereby you can then add your movie to it as well whcih is only accessible from a CD-ROM drive.

Many a time have I put a music CD in my PC and insetad of just playing it I get some autorun kick in to show dynamic content. So it;s clear this is used quite a lot. You might want to coinsider including an app on the CD to play the video as well as just dumping a wmv or avi on there though jyst to make sure it can be played.

Hi Alan, That worked well - thanks! I made it using a 'data and audio disc' option in Nero.

One more question though: it plays only the audio track in my CD player, but when I put it in the PC, it wants to only play the audio track there too. I have to go into the folders on the CD drive to choose the .mpg file manually which then plays fine. Any way you can suggest to make it give me the option when the disc is loaded to play either the audio or the video files?

Quote Originally Posted by simon1 View Post
    Hi Alan, That worked well - thanks! I made it using a 'data and audio disc' option in Nero.
    Ok. I got the name wrong. :(

Quote Originally Posted by simon1 View Post
    One more question though: it plays only the audio track in my CD player, but when I put it in the PC, it wants to only play the audio track there too. I have to go into the folders on the CD drive to choose the .mpg file manually which then plays fine. Any way you can suggest to make it give me the option when the disc is loaded to play either the audio or the video files?
    I think you are likely into Windows development there to create you rown bespoke autorun.inf stuff. I find when I put a dual format CD in my drive that the Windows code kicks in first and not the audio CD player. Don't know if you can prioritise the test but you won't be in control of someone else's PC anyway so it doesn't matter.

I can't offer anymore here sorry. Not something I know about. I'm more of a DVD sort of guy.

No probs. Thanks for getting me this far. I can go with it as it is if I have to. At least the files all play.