Thread: Help with editing video files in photoshop?

Question Help with editing video files in photoshop?

Okay so I want to take a video file and export it into layers for photoshop.

So I opened the video file in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and when I right click it, the option of "Edit in Photoshop" is there but it's not available (ie. it won't let me click it).

Is there something I have to configure??? howcome it doesn't work?

not 100% sure but i think theres an export as frames option, which is what you need as then each frame will be a single image.....

You have to remember that Phtotshop is a 'still image' editor and not a video editor (at least up till CS2 it is. Ibeleiver there are some jazzy new tools in CS3 Extended editions for video type work but I've nto seen it yet so...).

What you have to do to 'edit' you video in Phototshop is to export your video timeline in a format Phtoshop is interested in. You can do this as a sewries of numbered stills or as a sinbgle (and boy do they get lkarge) flv (filmstrip) file.

However what you get is not a series of PSD files with multi layers. Each image whether as a series or as a single filmstrip image will be a single layer.

I have never heard of an option that will give you each frame with multi layers.

I presume the 'edit in Photoshop' option mentioned is a workflow feature available only when you select a still image in your project bin - just to save haveing to jump out of Premiere to do the edit.

One word of warning when edittign flv files though in PS. When I did this, needless to say to preserve my work in progress I save my work in a layered photoshop file. When I was done I flattened the image for save as a flv file. Hoever the flv option was not there. I had to open an oriohginal flv file, cut and paste my work over the top as a second layer, remove the bottom layer and then hit 'save'. - Hope this makes sense.

thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Tommie31 View Post
    Okay so I want to take a video file and export it into layers for photoshop.

So I opened the video file in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and when I right click it, the option of "Edit in Photoshop" is there but it's not available (ie. it won't let me click it).

Is there something I have to configure??? howcome it doesn't work?
    well, one way to open a video in multiple layers in photoshop is to open Image Ready which comes with photoshop and then click File - Import or something like that and it will allow you to import videos, and you can select a portion of the video to be imported and it will import it in multiple layers for editing.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need further help.