Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Video

Default Music Video

Hi all.

This forum looks great. I was only just referred to it.
    I am trying to do the evaluation for my music video which I made as part of my final year of Multimedia Technology.
    Please check out my video for local band 'Obsidian'.
    Any feedback either on here or the feedback questionnaire are gratefully received.

MY VIDEO

Hope you enjoy.

--
    Martin

Blog Entries

Martin...welcome... Er... When you said "final year of Multimedia Technology" please don't tell me that we're talking degree level here.

I'm sorry but it wasn't very good (on the visuals side, the music's pretty cool) and the video is no different from any one of thousands made by youtube bedroom bands.

The main fault (apart from the lack of originality and mediocre images) was the editing. There was no connection between the music (beat and context) and the images (rhythm and effects). Some of the cuts were on the beat, but often the "wrong" beat. The "graveyard scene" has been so overused that it's almost making a comeback and the camerawork for the "live" stuff was awful. I really don't want to be so negative (as all I get is insults) but you've got a good song there, it deserves a better video.

Edit: My comments are harsh but I'm sure that you had a lot harsher from your tutors. If you're honest with yourself you can see where the faults lie. When watching the video you don't get the impression that the voice is connected to the singer. (I personally think that the mix is far too "clean" for this type of song but you're asking about the video, not the mix). For something which is going to showcase your work, you need to put a lot more planning and effort into it. Try innovative camera moves, show the singer singing, get close and (most importantly) if you show musicians playing instruments, make sure that you hear what they're playing. When the drummer hits the cymbals you need to have it timed with the soundtrack, for example.

Finally (I'm really, really sorry to do this but it's meant constructively, honestly!) on your questionaire, get rid of the spelling mistakes. I don't mind, but, as a potential media graduate, you're not doing yourself any favours there.

Before you get angry with me, it's better that you get slated here than by a potential employer!
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 04-23-2007 at 06:30 PM.

OK, well not what I was expecting but thanks all the same. I can take criticism.
    I can see flaws in the video, of course but you are the only one who's made these kinds of comments.
    To be fair, I have seen worse degree-level video productions.

The lipsync is actually correct, I think any apparent bad lipsync is due to the live singing not matching up to the studio track exactly. I have spent much time on the synchronisation though and paid particular attention to it.
    I know that the opening shots of the live footage are bad - it was all I had, but I do think the shots later on are better.
    There seems to be split opinion about the graveyard shots. I'm not sure if it was a mistake. The idea was to connote the subject matter of death and to organ solo...I'm still undecided. I will talk about these things in my evaluation and point out the shortcomings of the video and show how they could have been rectified.

Cheers,
    Martin

4. Default

i would have to agree with guru, if this is degree level stuff then they there should be way lees mistakes.

the video started well then as soon as you get to the blue shot it all goes wrong

the shots we pretty much all the same and quite boring. the band needed some direction, you should have told the singer to put her bloody hands down - this made the shots look like they were out of sync.
    overall the shots were badly lit and it seems you didnt really plan them.

i also watched your other video 'I,Writer' and i just didtn get it and was quite boring.

i know this may seem harsh but we see better work posed here from amatuers and kids

im sorry, but i have a music industry background, and you can have the best music video in the world, it doesnt help a poor song. i thought the video was not very exciting, and i found myself waiting for it to end. but i would like to be positive in some way, the lip sync was pretty much tite and the sound mix wasnt too bad. if i was to advise you, i would suggest finding a better band who can keep in tune. and make the video much more interesting, there are thousands of videos out there by bedroom bands and hardly any them shine.

if you want a example of a music video from a "bedroom band" check this out

far more original and enjoyable to watch

have fun
    Last edited by thedigitalpunkz; 04-24-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    action camera lights

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalpunkz View Post
    im sorry, but i have a music industry background, and you can have the best music video in the world, it doesnt help a poor song. i thought the video was not very exciting, and i found myself waiting for it to end. but i would like to be positive in some way, the lip sync was pretty much tite and the sound mix wasnt too bad. if i was to advise you, i would suggest finding a better band who can keep in tune. and make the video much more interesting, there are thousands of videos out there by bedroom bands and hardly any them shine.

if you want a example of a music video from a "bedroom band" check this out YouTube - big cash prizes 'untitled'//

far more original and enjoyable to watch

have fun
    i would have to disagree, there are many ways i which you can make a band look a hall of a lot better just by choosing your shots carefully and planning the video.
    fare enough the band were not the best but lets face it NOFX make interesting vids and sing out of key

- enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by komatoast View Post
    i would have to disagree, there are many ways i which you can make a band look a hall of a lot better just by choosing your shots carefully and planning the video.
    fare enough the band were not the best but lets face it NOFX make interesting vids and sing out of key

YouTube - NOFX - Bob - enjoy

NOFX Bob, very funny is it yours??
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Chapman Photography View Post
    NOFX Bob, very funny is it yours??
    oh no... far from it. nofx are a pretty well established american punk band. i was just making the point that even though the song may be out of tune, there is no reason for a boring video.
    the productions team should really over compensate and make the video even better if the music is a bit poop.

at the end of the day its the video that people see and that reflects on the people who produced it.

Blog Entries

To be fair to Blueprint, you can be a bit too close to see things objectively.

I think the band's quite good actually, I just find the way they mixed their song doesn't do it justice.

I also think that a good video can push a song a lot further, take "Call on me" by Eric Prydz. An awful remake but the video pushed sales through the roof. A good video puts images in your head which you remember every time you hear the song.

If you where on a video media course I would wonder what the tutors had been teaching you!

A studio video, should either be entirely shot in the studio, or if you insist on external shots, introduce them sooner rather than later! Jumping to the graveyard at the end seemed a bit pointless and out of place, and only thrown in because the organ sounded remotely eerie.

Camera work needs alot of attention too in regards to the framing and stability of the "steady" shots, and please don't include those annoying little zooms.

Don't even get me started on the grading...

The music doesn't really fit the location either, which could have been resolved through the use of lighting, but it wasn't.

"I think any apparent bad lipsync is due to the live singing not matching up to the studio track exactly"

Software can retime and adjust the video to sync with audio. no excuses.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast