Thread: Studio 8 capture problem

Default Studio 8 capture problem

I installed Studio 8 and set up to record from VHS. The picture was clear in the preview window but when I clicked on 'capture' an error box appeared immediately saying 'capture has failed' Can anyone suggest what is wrong or what I may have done wrong? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

ahhh, the classic pinnacle errors. Your best bet is to try and capture using another application. Try either IUVCR or VirtualDub as alternatives for capture...

Default pinnacle capture

I must be thick! I don't see the point of a relatively expensive commercial program which doesn't work properly?

Default Re: pinnacle capture

Quote Originally Posted by bikemadgrandad
    I must be thick! I don't see the point of a relatively expensive commercial program which doesn't work properly?
    You and a everyone else who has purchased their programs. I can not say enough bad things about Pinnacle, although I try every opportunity I get.
    I basically paid $200 for their software and capture "trap" and ended up with an expensive editing program. I even bought a new computer because I so desperately wanted it to work. Talk about thick!
    Few people will report that they can actually accomplish everything their marketing states the program will do! I'm hooked on the editing format, but I do not capture or burn with it, as there are just too many bugs in their program. You will pull your hair out trying to get it to work.
    How a company can market and sell a program that is so incrediably unstable and fails so miserably is beyond me.
    Thank goodness for forums such as this were users can warn other consumers. Unfortunately, most newbie don't seek this type of forum out until they are at their wits end.

Blog Entries

Alas, it seems marketing is key here. There ARE many other apps that don't have the problems associated with Pinnacle - but unfortunately they don't have the marketing budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Peters
    Alas, it seems marketing is key here. There ARE many other apps that don't have the problems associated with Pinnacle - but unfortunately they don't have the marketing budget.
    I suspect Pinnacle will not have the marketing budget for very long if they continue to turn out problem ridden programs.
    Unfortunately, I think they depend on consumers like myself who bought into their tech support insistance that it was somehow my fault and the fault of my computer. By the time you mess with it for sometime and do all they demand and then go to the forums and really start digging, it is too late to return the product.
    Another problem is that they are diversifying, i.e. Dazzle, and now they have infested other apps. I have purchased and returned 5 Pinnacle products to date. I finally kept the last one just to have the editing software.

Blog Entries

I returned a Pinnacle DV500 after the thing refused to work. Turned out it was part of a whole batch of cards that didn't work (I checked the serial number). Pinnacle support denied all knowledge of this even though it was on their site!!!

Yep, Pinnacle are pants.

Default video capture

Thanks to all who answered my query. I have now settled on uLead Video Studio which together with an AverMedia DVD EZmaker PCI capture card is giving me results with which I am quite happy. If anyone is interested, my system is a 1700+ Athlon with 256 meg RAM and 20 gig of my hard drive dedicated to video work. (leaves me with 10 gig for system and 10 gig for back up, other files etc.)