Thread: Short Horror/Co,medy Constructive Criticism Appreciated

Default Short Horror/Co,medy Constructive Criticism Appreciated

Some friends and I decided to film something short a few nights ago. It started off as a joke but I threw it on the computer and did some editing and decided to throw it up on Youtube. I realize that there are a few mistakes and the lighting at some points isn't that great. I figured this would be a great chance to get some tips on how to improve my work. Any constructive criticism is appreciated, however keep in mind we are on a low budget, we have spent maybe $200 on blood, makeup, liquid latex, a tripod, and other equipment so we aren't rolling in dough. Also comments and ratings on the video is very much appreciated.

Blog Entries

What do you mean by "constructive criticism?".

Presumably you want to improve. In order to do that you need to make less "mistakes". If you look at your video critically you can see where the mistakes are. The three major ones which jumped out and hit me are...

It's too dark. I know it's night but you can't see what's happening in many of the shots. If you can't see facial expresions, you don't know what the actors are feeling.

The plot is thin. The golden question to ask when writing a plot is "what would I do here?". You wouldn't leave your friend dying in the front room and go and lie down on your bed, for example.

Watch the camerawork. If you don't get it right... do it again.

Despite that. Welcome to the world of video drama!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    What do you mean by "constructive criticism?".

Presumably you want to improve. In order to do that you need to make less "mistakes". If you look at your video critically you can see where the mistakes are. The three major ones which jumped out and hit me are...

It's too dark. I know it's night but you can't see what's happening in many of the shots. If you can't see facial expresions, you don't know what the actors are feeling.

The plot is thin. The golden question to ask when writing a plot is "what would I do here?". You wouldn't leave your friend dying in the front room and go and lie down on your bed, for example.

Watch the camerawork. If you don't get it right... do it again.

Despite that. Welcome to the world of video drama!
    That's pretty much what I meant by constructive criticism. Thanks for the feedback, I'll make it lighter next time and play with the camera work. Thanks for the advice.

Blog Entries

You're welcome.

It's hard to "constructively criticise" on a forum because often it sounds a lot harsher than it's intended. Now that you've started, I hope that you'll get the bug and want to make more and more videos!
    There are quite a few guys who post a new video every few weeks and you really can see the improvement each time. Please show us your next production!

It doesn't have to be "lighter" but think about using light to create an effect. Even a torch with a bit of tissue paper over it can help to fill in a face in a darkened room.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    You're welcome.

It's hard to "constructively criticise" on a forum because often it sounds a lot harsher than it's intended. Now that you've started, I hope that you'll get the bug and want to make more and more videos!
    There are quite a few guys who post a new video every few weeks and you really can see the improvement each time. Please show us your next production!

It doesn't have to be "lighter" but think about using light to create an effect. Even a torch with a bit of tissue paper over it can help to fill in a face in a darkened room.
    Oh yeah we have plans to film another movie with in the next couple weeks, I absolutely love filming and I have seen improvement from some of our first works. I'll make sure to share the video when it is done.

Yea I thought it was alright, i hope to see more of your others though