Thread: Color correcting an entire video?

Question Color correcting an entire video?

I have a 60-second video AVI made up of several 12x 5 second clips (all recorded with the same MiniDV camera), but since the lighting is different in a lot of the shots, the coloring is different (some are very yellow, some blue etc.).

Can something be done so that everything in the video has the same 'color' ('hue 'the word?) on it?

Cheers.

well you can do it the hard way and this is the only way i know by making the same adjustment to every clip, by number of hue and all that good stuff. or if the footage is raw before you cut it just make the adjustment ther eand then start editing

This is certainly a manual process imo.

However if you are the lucky owner of a Matrox RT.X100 (and probably the new RT.X2) then you have a nice effeect to do this which will sample one clip and bring a second in line with it. All you need do then is manual correct one clip and map all the others to it. And all this in real time. oh my!

other than that I would start by applying some sort of 'auto-level' filter to each clip on the timeline. this should be a big help and might even get you 90% of the way there especially if the clips have different 'tints' to them. After that it;s all manual I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    This is certainly a manual process imo.

However if you are the lucky owner of a Matrox RT.X100 (and probably the new RT.X2) then you have a nice effeect to do this which will sample one clip and bring a second in line with it. All you need do then is manual correct one clip and map all the others to it. And all this in real time. oh my!

other than that I would start by applying some sort of 'auto-level' filter to each clip on the timeline. this should be a big help and might even get you 90% of the way there especially if the clips have different 'tints' to them. After that it;s all manual I'm afraid.
    Our university has the RT.X2s. Where do I go? How do I do it mate?

Quote Originally Posted by King Mustard View Post
    Our university has the RT.X2s. Where do I go? How do I do it mate?
    in truth, I don't know the workflow. I've seen it demo'd on an RT.X100 though so I know it's there. I'll check my manual tonight if I find time and post a reference if I can find it. Might just be a standard colour correction with an option to 'sample' from another window or clip though.

But I only (??) have the RT.X100 and I simply assume they haven't removed the functionality when they designed the RT.X2.

Documentation is at home and I know I have to go out this evening so pester me in a couple of days if I haven't got back to you. In the meantime check you documentation. I guess it should be in there somewhere eh?

Did a quick search and found this, which is probably better than whatever else I'll find at home.

Matrox RT.X100 Xtreme Pro - Advanced realtime color correction - Color tools

Shows you the realtime time colour match, colour pass and coloour replace tools with the RT.X100. Should give you all the pointers you need into your RT.X2 manuals to get your job done.

I've never used this filter so let me know how it all works out ok?