Thread: Panasonic external microphone snag!

Angry Panasonic external microphone snag!

I am returning to video after a long break and will be using my - now quite old but still works well - Panasonic NV-DS11, mini-DV camera.

BUT... it has always had lots of onboard motor-hum & zoom noise from the internal microphone, so I want to use an external one.

Although I have tried plugging in a few different stereo & mono mics, none work when plugged into this camera. It has been like this since new.

QUESTIONS:
    1. Do Panasonic have their own peculiar mic input that will only take panasonic mics?
    2. Is there a switch/ menu option I need to change?
    3. How do I test to see if the input is okay?
    4. Where would I get a panasonic mic for this early DV camera?

If anyone can help - many thanks

Adrian

Sounds like a silly question, but were the mics you used powered by anything?

Quote Originally Posted by MOSH View Post
    Sounds like a silly question, but were the mics you used powered by anything?
    Hi Mosh, its not a silly question its a good one. And now you have me thinking.

I think the answer is no. I am certain most weren't. I am trying to remember back 6 years as to what I tried.

The one I really thought would work was a small stereo one from a recording sony walkman I had. But not a dicky bird can be heard when its plugged in.

I assumed these are small electret types whci are powered from the walkman - and hence video camera. But maybe thats part of the problem.

I don't think the 3.5mm mic in socket on most video cameras will power a mic. The only mics I've had work succesfully with my cameras have all needed their own power (either LR44 or 9V batteries).

My Sony MD recorder however, picks up from any source i've tried so far. Occasionally I record to that, if nothing else is available, then import it over the video in post.

I wish you luck! I have a similar problem with a brand new Panasonic DVD camcorder. I couldn't get a powered mic to work through the mini jack socket. Although the socket is stereo and the mic has a mono plug, this shouldn't make a difference.

The retailers who I bought the camcorder from were useless (Curry's in the UK) - they didn't have a clue. The manual supplied with the camcorder only specifies a 'compatible powered mic' - but doesn't say which mics are compatible - or non-compatible!!.

Panasonic themselves have some stupid telephone answering system which never actually puts you through to a real person and after going through several levels of menus, referred me to their website. The website itself is a nightmare and difficult to navigate - but eventually I managed to send off an email to their tech support - that was 4 weeks ago - since then, nothing!!

In the end, I bought another camcorder (Sony VX2100) and although I can get a remote mic to work, I'm having noise interference with the remote control - but that's a different story!! (see my other thread for this problem).

Like I said - good luck!! If I ever get an answer from Panasonic, I'll let you know.

Dave

Cool

I wondered if a Panasonic mic would work (yes I know it should), but can't find any on their website (they just want to sell you flat screeen TV's)

I just found this link
    'Panasonic Stereo Zoom Microphone (For Panasonic NV-GS70) - £149.99 at Jessops.com'

It may work, but quite frankly I just want to spend up to about £20 max.

I already own many high quality mics and don't want to pay silly sums for 'other' microphones. But Of course I do need to find out if the mic input works!!

If it does I'll build a system to operate my good mics.

Sheesh - what hassle.

Thanks for the comments Guys.

If I get a breakthrough, i'll report back.

Blog Entries

Have you thought about looking for a "Beechtek" or something similar (cheap chinese copy) on ebay, so that you can use your decent mics with your camcorder?

It's only an idea (albeit an expensive one!) but not a field I'm experienced in so exuse me if I'm talking crap!

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Have you thought about looking for a "Beechtek" or something similar (cheap chinese copy) on ebay, so that you can use your decent mics with your camcorder?

It's only an idea (albeit an expensive one!) but not a field I'm experienced in so exuse me if I'm talking crap!
    Hi Guru

Now thats an interesting idea - and a direction I hadn't consideed

many thanks for your input.

Adrian

I have used a cheap jessops mic, a rode shotgun and a sennhieser radio mic with my gs400 and all worked very well. The gs400 has a mic and earphone socket which is unusual, often they are combined, there maybe a setting in the menu system for switching the jack socket from 1 to the other. This is certainly the case with the gs140 where the AV and headphones share a socket

Just a thought.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Hi miwhel, I have just checked my Panasonic and it doesnt seem to have an earphone socket indicated anywhere. The microphone input is beside the onboard mic and is clearly marked 'mic'.

The menu system does not seem to have any option for switching either.

But many thanks.