I just got a Manfrotto 501 tripod head and it came with 055ssb legs. The head is amazing and it very smooth but the legs are not all that great. Im putting an XL1 on top so I need something better.

However, im a little confused on whether I need something between the head and the legs which fits into the 'bowl' of the tripod.

Its the standard 501 head that I have. Hope someone can help and if you need any more info let me know.