Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software suggestions

Default Software suggestions

I have been using Studio 9 (patched to 9.4) for the past few months to edit and author video to DVD's and I want to find something a bit more advanced with more features. I recently purchased a new camera (JVC GZ MG-505). I've seen a few posts where people advise against these types of cameras (HDD) but I happen to like its versatility and and extremely pleased with the video and still image quality I have shot so far. 1 issue I am finding though is that Studio does not recognize the files (clips) that I have shot with this camera in their original format even though everything I have shot is at the ultra-fine (mpeg) setting and I have unlocked the mpeg upgrade for my Studio software. It still imports the files but as an SCN file instead of its original mpeg. Plus Studio seems to slow down considerably and the audio and video lose sync. My comp specs are as follows:

Amd 3500+ 2.2gHz (single core)
    Asus A8n-SLI mobo
    2 gig PQI dual channel 400mHz DDR2
    Ati Radeon X800XL vids
    2x250 Gig Western Dig Raid 0

I have done a little research and noticed Premier Elements 3.0, Roxio Media Creator 9, and get good to excellent user ratings but they seem light on the features end. Sony Vegas 4.0 gets great ratings, and the price is not out of reach but I'd like more info before making that level of investment. I plan to try some demos of different softwares to find the best fit for my style and skill level.

I am looking for editing software suggestions primarily but hardware suggestions would also be greatly appreciated as I am considering upgrading my processor to an X2 dual core, minimum 3800+.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

bump to top

how versitile is a camera that produces video you can't edit?

I would have hoped that someone on the forum may have one of these type cameras (HDD) and had some success with editing.

The truth is that this question comes up over and over again with the same results. What adds to the problem is that the manufacturers don't just use Mpeg2 they screw with it and this means that editors that can edit mpeg2 become slow and unmanageable as you describe.

There have been some posts about JVC HDD editing, may be do a search and there might be some pointers, maybe phone JVC customer support and ask them what software, try convert to another format before editing, check JVC website for clues and try renaming your files to .mpg.

Canopus Edius edits mpeg seemlessly but you would need to try your type.

As a guess Vegas might do a good job because Sony also like messing with the mpeg format and hopefully when they do the support is added in to their editing software.

Premiere elements edits mpeg quite well, but again you need to test it for your particular type.

Good luck in your search and Please let us know if you find a solution, there are many others out there in the same position.

What ever you use, editing mpeg is usually quite a clunky affair at best
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

The Premier Elements is very nice. Smooth and fluid handling of the mpeg, I especially like the reverse motion capability. Looked great on DVD as well, very sharp, and crisp images and effects. 1 questionl, does the Adobe logo dissappear when you purchase the full edition? There is a small Adobe logo on the vid (even on the DVD's I made) when I use various effects, transitions, templates, and zooms.

I am looking for a vegas demo as I type, found one at Cnet just havent registered for it yet.

The Canopus software looks more advanced (features and price) than my skill level at the present so I didnt dl that demo.

When I grabbed the Premier elements demo I also got a Photoshop Elements 5.0 demo. I have, untill recently, been using Picasa. It was free and had fairly decent features and versatility. It seems to have a great deal of potential but needs a good browse of the manuals to get full use of its potential.

Thanks for the input, it was very helpful.

Yes the logo is only for the demo. If you go to the sony media website you can down load the demo.
    Wil

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ChapmanProduction

Well, I went to the sony media site, downloaded the demo, and have to purchase the full in order to manipulate mpeg. So basically I cant test run it since all of my footage is mpeg.. Thats to bad because I liked the look of it. Thanks for the logo information, thats good to know.

It should be a full working version with a time limit. I used the trial "fully" befor I purchased it.
    Wil

Software Used:

I just tried again after watching a couple of tutorials and when I try to import anything mpeg a separate window pops up and says:

MPEG ENCODING
    Rendering and opening of MPEG is disabled
    in the Vegas Movie Studio Trial. Buy the full version
    and get unlimited support to open
    ans save MPEG-1 and MPEG-2

Then there is a button in the bottom right corner saying Buy/Close

Am I using the same version of Vegas that you are referring to?

The "full" version of vegas allows mpeg in the demo. I have no idea about the light version of studio.
    Wil

Software Used:

I am at:
    Sony Creative Software - Downloads - Demos
    are you refering to
    Movie Studio + DVD 6.0
    Movie Studio + DVD Platinum Edition 7.0
    or
    Movie + DVD Production Suite 7?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?