Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot Render any thing on my time line. Urgent Help Pls

Default Cannot Render any thing on my time line. Urgent Help Pls

Greetings,

I am fairly new to this and am working on my first project using Premiere 6.0 and a Matrox RT 2000.

Everything has worked Very smoothly up until this point. The story so far.....

First I edited my project in chunks, exported them as matrox clips and then imported them all into a new project in order to put them together.

I then tried to render some titles and my "until-now-ultra-stable-system" crashed to windows. So I tried again and again and it kept crashing. I freaked out for while and realised my Hardrive was almost full. I free'd up a bunch of space and tried again.

No dice. But this time instead of crashing when I try to render it just stops when its almost done and Say's "error writing file (disk full)?".

I have around 15 gigs free. Some of my files are stored on the same drive as my OS. Is that a bad idea? I noticed the drive is fragged to hell and defragg don't do much.

What am I doing wrong here? Any help would be most appreciated! Nothin worse than blazing through a workload only to run into a quagmire. Gah...

Thanks for your time

PS Is a 72000 rpm HD good enough for realtime editing? I have a 10000rpm, but the 72000 seems to do fine. Any thought on this one?

Blog Entries

Could be the good ol' FAT32 file size limitation. What's your OS and file system type?

Thanks for the response,

I am using A NTFS file type and Windows Xp Pro.

Man it worked like a dream up until this point.

Thanks again.

Default Re: Cannot Render any thing on my time line. Urgent Help Pls

Quote Originally Posted by Nosveratu
    I noticed the drive is fragged to hell and defragg don't do much.
    Unless you have enough space the defrag won't do much. I suggest you move a bunch of files to some other disk and then defrag. When you've got a good defrag done then move the files back.

Just good (?) advice. Not convinced it'll help the problem though.

Have you tried taing the render card out of the equation (assuming you can) and just work in Premiere. Does the problem persist. Just trying to elliminate possible h/w problems.

How long is your movie? 15Gb of disk space is not that much really for video. Just over an hour. If your movie is much longer than that then that could be your problem.

Is a 72000 rpm HD good enough for realtime editing?
    It should be. Most HDDs are between 7200 and 10000 rpm. At ten times the speed of a 'normal' drive it should certainly be ok sorry - couldn't resist.

Blog Entries

I'd back Millsy up on that one. I can't stress enough the importance of keeping your drives in tip top condition - be ruthless, delete files you know you don't need and backup those you haven't used for a while.

Do a search on your HDD for files > 50MB. You may be surprised at some of the stuff it throws up - those "rough drafts" of video or long forgotten downloads of trial apps.

It's also a good idea to invest in a good defrag app. I can't reccomend O&O defrag enough - much better than the standards windows app. It gives you a few choices of how you want the files arranged too (which I can't remember off the top of my head - and I can't remember which option gives the best perfomace either! Hmm shows how much I practice what I preach).

Blog Entries

Oh, and the next logical questions are:

1) How long is your video?
    2) What codec are you using? and
    3) What bitrate (if applicable)

Alternatively, encode 1 minute (x). Muliply the file size (y) by the total length of your video (z) to get your predicted fille size (P) (assuming CBR).

If P > 15GB, there's your answer.

Gents,

My video is 18 mins long. I am not shure how to determine my codec or bitrate ( how do I find out?). As I said I am pretty newb and I'm not shure I understand you're equation.I am running every thing in Matrox mode.

I tried to render the same title that was crashing my system by itself and it rendered fine, when I tried again to render the same title with the time line full of my project I got the original crash to windows.

Does this confirm my need for more HD space?

BTW guys thanks so darn much for your selfless efforts. With out you folks I'd be feelin even more helpless

I can't see that you would have trouble fitting 18 minutes of video into 15Gb of HDD space so that shouldn't be the problem.

If I understand you correctly, if you export the whole timeline then you get an error but if you export a portion of it (or is it effectively just a single clip/layer) then the export goes ok?

Also, you've got the added 'complication' of the matrox card. I'm not familiar with it and how it works and integrates into things (although I will be soon ). Is the card used for export as well as rendering? If it is then is there an option to export without making use of the card?

I wonder if you might just be pushing the limits of the card and this is what is leading to the problems.

If the compilation is complex, ie many layers/effects/transitions then try exporting a simpler version and then use that (resulting) clip and apply the extra layers/transitions on that. i.e. do things in multi pass rather than a single pass. Try this on a shorter timeline to see if the problem goes away.

Sir,

My difficulty is that I cannot render anything on the time line like titles,imported stills or transitions (except the real time key-rubber band cross fade, which doesn't require a rendering). I am able to export fine.

What I am working with is 5 preiviously exported ''act's". I turned a bunch of clips into these for ease of use and in case I had storage issues. Perhaps the type of file format I am using during export could be suspect?

The peice I am workin on is really quite simple (Documentry) and I feel this rig should easily handel it. I think there is just some little peice of crucial info that eludes me.

I am fairly ignorant but trying to fix that. I will try and do some more testing.

Thanks so much for your assistance and time.

Hmmm, I've read the last post through a number of times and it comes across in a very condescending way. i sense you are getting frustrated at the fact that we are bouncing questions back to you and not able to give a definitive 'black-and-white' answer to your problem.

The simple fact is that none of the regular contributors here at 'the forums' use Premier 6 with a Matrox RT 2000 render card. At least none that I know of. Because we are simply not familiar with yor setup, we are thinking on our feet here and trying to invent possibilities that might cause the problem.

I would answer that if Premiere is not rendering on the timeline correctly then your should re-install it or upgrade to a new version. Let's face it, it is a pretty fundamental task for the software. We've had people in these forums who have forgotton to render and wonder why they don't see their results but none (that I can remember) who can not render at all.

Your early posts indicate that the render does take place when you freed up disk space but stops with a 'disk full' error. If the s/w used to work ok but doesn't now then i would concentrate on this part of the problem. Personally, I'm still thinking the issue is to do with disk space, or lack of it. Did you actually manage a 'good' defrag of your disk(s)? If not then this should be your priority to any disk in use. Check to make sure that Premiere is writing it's temporary files to the place/disk you think it is.

At the moment we can onloy offer suggestion that might help you diagnose the problem. Until the problem is fully diagnosed your frustration will continue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast