Thread: Better software or settings for encoding WMV clips?

Default Better software or settings for encoding WMV clips?

Hello everyone,

I'm not really having a problem with software per se, but I would like to improve the quality of the clips I produce.

Basically, I need to convert AVI (DV) clips to WMV. So far I've been using Windows Media Encoder 9. The results aren't bad, but I'm wondering if there's software other than WME that could do a better job. I've no problem paying for such software if it's not free, as I just want to improve my work. If nothing can do a better job than WME, maybe I could use different encoding settings, but I'd really need some help to know what to do. My goal is to either improve the picture quality for the same file size (and bitrate) or reduce the file size while keeping the same quality.

I make my clips 480x360. I'd like to make them larger, like 640x480, but I'm afraid of sacrificing too much picture quality. Typically, I set the video bit rate to about 1000 bps, using the Windows Media Video 9 codec. The mode is bit rate VBR. Frame rate is 29.97 fps. I also select the Deinterlace option. Audio is CD quality (64 kbps, 44 kHz, stereo VBR), using the Windows Media Audio 9.2 codec.

The resulting clips are somewhere between 7.5 and 8 MB/minute. But I've looked around and I've seen WMV clips that were less than that, while having a large 640x480 screen size and a better picture quality than my own clips. I've no idea how some people manage to compress their material so efficiently. I wish I could do the same.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Divx dose a great job As dose Quick Time. Soranson Squeeze works well also, The more you compress the poorer the quilty.

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Thank you for the advice. My preference is to continue using the WMV format, even though I realize it's the most efficient, but I'll experiment with what you suggested.

WMV has diffrent compression settings as well, 256, 512, 3mb ec..

Software Used:
    TGV Edius 6, TGV ProCoder 3, DVD Lab Pro. 2

Yes, I know. I've experimented with various settings quite a bit before I chose those that worked for me. But I'm trying to find a way to improve the quality for the same bitrate, or at least decrease the bitrate for the same quality. I've seen some WMV clips that have a larger screen size than mine, comparable or better picture quality, and yet have lower bitrates (and thus smaller file sizes per minute). I can see that some people have figured out ways to make their WMV clips look better, so I'm hoping I can do the same.

Bournemouth, UK

The quality of the video going in makes a big difference to the output quality. Any high compression format will have trouble with fast moving or dark footage.

Windows media encoder should give you good results. If you have widescreen video and want to put it on the web try 1mbps VBR at a res of 640x360 or if you require it to be smaller in filesize then 480x270 512kbps VBR.(for 4:3 video try the settings at 640x480 and 480x360)

For higher quality anything over 3mbps at dv res should look good.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Typically I use a resolution of 480x360, 1Mbps VBR (2-pass). The results are decent enough, but I still wonder how some people manage to make their clips look at least as good at a 640x480 resolution and a lower bitrate. Then again, it's possible their original footage is just better quality than mine, but mine isn't that bad, really. I use a Sony DCR-TRV900, which is a good quality 3CCD camcorder.

I would like to increase my resolution to 640x480. It's still not bad at 1Mbps, but naturally the 480x360 resolution looks a bit better at that bitrate. I could always increase the bitrate, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference unless I boost it in a major way, and I really don't want it to be too high. I can't justify going higher than 1.2Mbps, and even then, I'm hesitant to go above 1Mbps.

Bristol uk
    Blog Entries

This tutorial I wrote may help you.

Thanks for the tutorial! There's some useful info in there.