Thread: best value 3CCD camera?

1. Default best value 3CCD camera?

I am thinking of buying a camcorder.
    Needs to be compact, and good quality. I'm thinking of a 3CCD camera.

Choices are:
    Sony HC5E
    Panasonic GS500
    so far...

Anyone else have any opinions?
    The SOny is a HDC camera? Does this simply mean it's a 3CCD.

Tks,

The Sony is actually a CMOS sensor, not CCD's. I have heard that both their own strenghth and weaknesses but have not had enough experience with a CMOS camera to make a qualified judgement yet. There is a good article on the operation and differences for each sensor type HERE that helped me.

The GS500 is a true 3ccd camera. You can read the Cnet review and get user reviews HERE.

The HDC signifies High Definition Camcorder, it has the ability to record in 1080i. Be careful here though, I purchased a 3ccd camera in March, and while shopping I was looking at high def cameras but was scared away from them after seeing many complaints from high def camera owners about the lack of editing software that supports high def footage. The impression that I got was that decent high def editing software will not be available until late April into May at the earliest and will then be ridiculously expensive.

I found this out by reading up about AVCHD M2TS files which is the high def format Sony records into. Most programs convert this back to Mpeg2 which defeats the purpose of having a high def camera.

Hope this helps, good luck!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_money View Post
    Be careful here though, I purchased a 3ccd camera in March, and while shopping I was looking at high def cameras but was scared away from them after seeing many complaints from high def camera owners about the lack of editing software that supports high def footage.
    Good point, but remember that just because you shoot in HDV doesn't mean you have to edit in HDV. Most HDV cameras allow you to down-convert to SD, meaning that you can use existing PC's to edit with no problems. I am in the process of buying a HDV camera, knowing full well that my PC is incapable of editing HDV, and that editing options are limited. Next year though, when today's top spec PCs are half price, and software developers have had more time......who knows? For the time being, HDV is the way to go. It will be bettered in time, no doubt. But it's not a fad. Anyone who is in the market for a new camera should definitely consider HDV, if only because the price differentials between HDV and DV are narrowing.
    Last edited by bert6280; 04-22-2007 at 09:17 PM.

That is a very good point I should have pointed out. I did notice while researching that the price had come down since I was shopping in Feb. That fact alone makes them worth the try.

Default Sony HDR-HC5E

I know the thread is from 07 but I brought a Sony HDR-HC5E yesterday and I have not yet given it a full test run,but I can give some pros and cons in a few weeks if anyone wants..

Picked it up NEW from a shop 355 quid not bad eh!

regards Mark

Blog Entries

Yo marss - long time - is it? I think so.

And yes that was a bargain !

Hello Again Mark

Yep things have been pretty busy with the "Matrix" lately,but Im hopefully coming back 2 the real world soon.
    Ive been making videos for work,disabled profile videos and annual videos.
    Im looking forward to making my own projects soon.

Regards Marrs