Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: common dumbness

Default common dumbness

ok im a pretty experienced editor, but that is pretty much all im good at on a computer, premeire pro i work like a dream, but most other stuff, im not too knowledgable on. such as loading videos on to the interent. now i want to put some of my films on youtube. now i know how to do this, but of course i have to reduce the quality when making the file to put it on there, and it looks really crappy, so i dont bother. but i see perfect quality youtube videos, how do i do this, i know theres a way i just cant figure it out. you can only fit 100mb on youtube, and most of my videos are 300 or more some less, so to reduce them to make them under that , the quality goes to shit.

2. Default

how do. have a look for video compressors. before you can put your video on to youtube it has to be of a size that they can handle i have found that encoding into .wmv/.mov are best.

also youtube may not allow your video if it is too long. try looking at Google Video too easy to use and comes with an upload client you can download. this prog lets you upload a few vids at once

you are only allowed up to 10 mins per video for free, so getting that under 100mb shouldn't be a problem. If your vids are longer then cut them in to parts and have part1, part2 etc.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

but see it is hard to get under 100 mb, or im doing something wrong thats why i poste this to get some instructions on doing this

Firstly, make sure the video dimensions are 320x240

Use a good quality video compression codec. Xvid is good.

Compress audio with mp3.

A 10 minute video will come in way under 100MB.

VirtualDub is free and will compress to Xvid, it is a bit fiddly to setup, but if you google "compress to Xvid with virtualdub" or something then there are tutorials on the net.

There are a few theories to compressing for youtube, on the site they quote that DivX, Xvid, mp4 are good but others say that .wmv at 640x480 is better, put your video into windows movie maker and use that to convert to .wmv if you want to try that.

Quicktime pro will compress to .mov files but this is not free.

The fact is that if you have alot of moving elements in your video, whatever format you use it will go fuzzy (technical term) when re-compressed by youtube.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I was going to add that if you end up with a filesize way under 100MB you could try increasing the video dimensions to say, 400x300. Keep checking the final filesize stays under 100MB.

Youtube will compress the video again after you upload it to them when they convert it into Flash. I always export the finished project from my editing software as a DV AVI file. I use Virtualdub to do the conversion to Xvid (including the resize).

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    I was going to add that if you end up with a filesize way under 100MB you could try increasing the video dimensions to say, 400x300. Keep checking the final filesize stays under 100MB.

Youtube will compress the video again after you upload it to them when they convert it into Flash. I always export the finished project from my editing software as a DV AVI file. I use Virtualdub to do the conversion to Xvid (including the resize).
    The resolution size for youtube seems to be a bit of a grey area, if they recommend 320x240 it is probably because they recompress everything to that size, so is there any advantage to increased resolution, I don't know?

But when they post the vid it is increased to 450x325 which buggers the quality of anything with fast or large amounts of movement. Documentary and animation stuff can look great.

My Xvid files looked ok, but have had most success with .wmv and quicktime at 330x440 but still not great, I would like to know what settings you think are best, as it seems you have more knowlegde/experience of youtube.

cheers

Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    .... I would like to know what settings you think are best, as it seems you have more knowlegde/experience of youtube.

cheers

Mike.

I must talk a good game because I certainly don't have much experience of encoding for YouTube. I was basing my comments on half an hour of Googling.

To make amends, I've been tinkering about with Virtualdub, a short DV AVI clip and YouTube all night. I've uploaded some clips for comparison purposes. When they are all live I'll post some links here....

A few you tube links-
    (for vegas but will work with every ap)

(done with his web cam not his video camera-link in description)
    Hope it helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast