Thread: Text effects in After Effects

Default Text effects in After Effects

Hiya,
    I'm doing an Introduction to Video production class at school, and I have to use After Effects to add some text to a film trailer (I have already filmed the film trailer) but I am a complete beginner to After Effects. I want to pause a bit of the trailer so that character names can fly in from one side, keep it paused for a few seconds and then continue the trailer. After the trailer I then want to fade it out to a black screen where it says the film title. I have been looking on the net for quite a while now but can't seem to find exactly what I'm looking for. Grr. So if anyone can help me that would be great and muchly appreciated!

Also, another quick question, I have found a font online that I really like and have downloaded. Is there anyway of using the font in After Effects?

Thanks!

2. Default

i would strongly recommend Video Copilot Products and Tutorials for Video Professionals there are some really good text effects here... they are also pretty easy to follow.

enjoy

TBH you should have editted the original trailer with these pauses and fades in mind. These are 'editting' where as After Effects is a pure compositting tool. better if you already have the paus and then just use AE to add the animated text effects to it. Much much easier that way.

However. Look in the online help or your user manual for time remapping in AE. Use those functions to slow the clip down to zero (for a while) to create your pause. Then speed it up. The fade out at the end can be done by taking your composition and simply applying an opacity change down to zero keyframed of course.

If you;re using a later version of AE you should have more text animation preset than you can shake a stick at so I presume you're using one fo these already.

As to the font (clearly you're american with that spelling!) all you need do is install it on your PC. AE will then find it just like any other app.

No, i'm not american, how are you supposed to spell font in english?!

Quote Originally Posted by laura_v View Post
    No, i'm not american, how are you supposed to spell font in english?!
    I only meant this as a joke but fount - Definitions from Dictionary.com

lol i have never seen that spelling in my life!