Thread: damaged file help please

Default damaged file help please

hi im new here and i have a problem.
    i edited a portion of a film and this morning when i tried o[ening it it said damaged file cannot open. i would usually do over but i did some seroius editing really complicayed stuff, so i really dont wanna redo. so i found some help on wikipedia and downloaded XML wrench to repair the file, but im am unsure of how to correct the file now. i have XML downloaded and its telling me some things but i dont know how to do them.. can anyone give me instructions on how to repair it or another method. ...ive already tried importing into and new project and copying the file. by the way adobe premiere pro 2.0 is the software
    Last edited by UglyNoise17; 04-17-2007 at 06:28 PM.

Have a look in the auto save folder that can be found in the same folder as the main project, and open the newest project, if you are lucky most of your edits will still be there.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Which file is corrupt?

The Premiere Pro project file? Or is it a movie file that is incorporated into the project? If it's an individual movie file, what file type is it (AVI/MPEG/WMV etc)?

Edit

Damn - pipped to it by Miwhel

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    Which file is corrupt?

The Premiere Pro project file? Or is it a movie file that is incorporated into the project? If it's an individual movie file, what file type is it (AVI/MPEG/WMV etc)?

Edit

Damn - pipped to it by Miwhel
    its the project itself i believe
    and their were no autosave files on it..lame, anything else
    also i do have a copy of the file on my external HD, but that one is also damaged, it affetced the copy, and original.
    Last edited by UglyNoise17; 04-17-2007 at 10:23 PM.

Premiere normally creates a "Premiere Pro Auto-Save" folder for each and every project created. I believe the default location for this folder is within the main project folder.

I'm surprised that yours is empty.

But if it is, then I suspect you're stuffed, unfortunately.

thanks gus for teh solutions, but in the end i ended up redoing the editing . i just finished it up, and i like it better than the original, so thanks anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyNoise17 View Post
    thanks gus for teh solutions, but in the end i ended up redoing the editing . i just finished it up, and i like it better than the original, so thanks anyway.
    I'm glad to hear things turned out not so bad.

Have a look in the folder my documents\adobe\premiere pro 2 your auto save folder might be in there. The autosave projects are numbered but the highest number is not always the last save, it is usually the one with the largest file size.

When saving a long edit you can also use the Save as copy command in the file menu. But in my experience if the project has become corrupt during editing, the copy can also be corrupt
    but it is mostly a very good thing to do at the end of a large edit.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production