Thread: what do I need?

Question what do I need?

just bought a canon ZR 850, I want to take the movies or videos I have taken and transfer them to the PC. All I have is a USB and A/V cale that came with it....It says on Canon's website that I need a firewire cord, I dont have a firewire port, is there a USB to firewire cable or some kind of connector thing that I could find somewhere to do that? I also installed the software that came with it but it is Canon EOS software, I have a camcorder ot a camera, will this work for getting videos or the pictures via the SD card off the camcorder or not..
    Another question is, is there any special reason why there is a protruding thing on the tripod that is not the screw? I cannot get the camcorder to screw into the tripod screw because there is a little metal piece that sticks up and is in the way...
    Is there any free program out there for video/photo exctraction that I could download that isnt a trial, and somewhat decent for editing??

Any help appreciated, links help too...
    Novice ZR-850
    a.k.a Gamer_Flamer
    I will think of one.....eventually

I can;t stress highly enough that you should use firewire to capture your movies. You might get stuff across a USB line but it'll be pooor quiality and unreliable. Fiorewire should, quite simply, be considered the ONLY way of capturing your footage.

If you have no firewire port than I respectfully suggest you go out and buy a cheap fireire PCI card for your PC. You can get these cheap enough but I don;t knwo the US vendors well enough to recommend a link sorry.

The protruding rod on the tripopd is an alignment aid. I assumed all camcorders come with a guiding hole for this in them at the bottom. I also thought that they weren't rigid and could be depressed into the tripod. Curious.

Alan's right as usual.

Just to cover the point about the EOS software, this software is for handling still image files only. You can do nothing with video using this software.

Canon include this software with all of their stills cameras and any camcorders that are capable of taking still photos (to SD card usually). Camcorders that have stills functions invariably have a USB port to transfer those photos to the PC.

Bit of a shame really. For one, the quality of stills photos from camcorders are usually crap. Secondly, having USB and Firewire ports on a camcorder usually leads to lots of confusion amongst those people new to these things.

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post
    Bit of a shame really. For one, the quality of stills photos from camcorders are usually crap. Secondly, having USB and Firewire ports on a camcorder usually leads to lots of confusion amongst those people new to these things.
    All too true. they should do away woth the USB port completely and simply recommend still files be transferred by means of a suitable card reader - which any self respecting stills photographer should have anyways.

Question what to get

Quote Originally Posted by bert6280 View Post

Just to cover the point about the EOS software, this software is for handling still image files only. You can do nothing with video using this software.

Canon include this software with all of their stills cameras and any camcorders that are capable of taking still photos (to SD card usually). Camcorders that have stills functions invariably have a USB port to transfer those photos to the PC.
    1. So I can use the EOS program to get the pictures off of the camera that are on the SD card (wich I bought)???

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    The protruding rod on the tripopd is an alignment aid. I assumed all camcorders come with a guiding hole for this in them at the bottom. I also thought that they weren't rigid and could be depressed into the tripod.
    2. the protruding rod does compress, just not when Im trying to get the camcorder on there....it'll go on for a few rounds, put it will stop at an angle and not go any further....
    I did find out how to take that part out of the tripod and screw it n to the camcorder separately from the tripod...

Is there any reasonable priced, or free, decent video editing software that I could buy or download (under 20MB) that captures video...cant get it to work with Windows Movie maker thing...

Thanks a bunch,
    Novice ZR-850
    AKA Gamer_Flamer
    I will think of one.....eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Novice ZR-850 View Post
    1. So I can use the EOS program to get the pictures off of the camera that are on the SD card (wich I bought)???
    Yes.

But I don't use the EOS software. It's a bit cumbersome and has features I do not need.

The simplest way to transfer photos from an SD card (or any storage card) is to use a standalone card reader. I'm not familiar with the ZR 850, but both my Canon camcorder and digital SLR are only capable of transferring at USB 1.1 speed. A modern card reader should allow transfers at USB 2.0 speed.