Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre-purchase question

Default Pre-purchase question

Hello, this is my first post so please be gentle with me.

I've just downloaded the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 7 since my existing editing software has problems with progressive scan DV footage.

It deals with the progressive footage just fine and I like the application - but there is one thing that I am used to doing, that I've been unable to do (yet) with Vegas.

When I finish a miniDV tape, I like to produce a DVD with each shot as a chapter and a chapter access menu. My understanding of what I need to do to achieve this in Vegas is to add all the clips from the tape into Movie Studio, place a marker between each pair of clips, save this. Open up DVD Architect, load the output of Movie Studio (including the marker positions) and add a scene menu. Finally, burn the DVD.

Is that the correct workflow?

If so, is there a way that I can get Vegas to automatically add the markers between clips? Given that I may have 40+ clips on a tape, adding them by hand is going to be very time consuming.

Finally, a nice-to-have (not something that my current package can do) would be to have each clip fade in from, and out to, black; can this be done for all clips together, rather than each clip in turn?

Thanks in advance,

_

Blog Entries

Welcome. The first thing I should say is that video editing is a time consuming business. You just need to accept that there are jobs you'll need to do manually. Setting markers is easy. Just select the point on the timeline you want and press the M key. Fading in and out is easy too. Split the clips at the points you've marked by pressing the S key, hover the mouse at the to of the track where you've split until the pointer changes to a quarter circle, and drag that across the clip. You'll see a fade in line appear. Repeat as neccesary.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    Welcome. The first thing I should say is that video editing is a time consuming business. You just need to accept that there are jobs you'll need to do manually. Setting markers is easy. Just select the point on the timeline you want and press the M key. Fading in and out is easy too. Split the clips at the points you've marked by pressing the S key, hover the mouse at the to of the track where you've split until the pointer changes to a quarter circle, and drag that across the clip. You'll see a fade in line appear. Repeat as neccesary.
    Andy,

Thanks for your response.

It's a shame that Vegas can't do this; I accept that video editing is time consuming (ask my wife!) but it was nice to be able to produce a DV-to-DVD reference disc automatically with my previous software.

However, as you point out, adding a marker is easy so, with other suitable keyboard shortcuts, it could be very straight forward - though not automatic.

Is there a keyboard short cut to move the cursor to the end of the current clip? If so, adding the required markers would be as simple as x-M-x-M-x-... (if 'x' is the key to move to the end of the clip).

Thanks again,

_

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Underscore View Post
    Is there a keyboard short cut to move the cursor to the end of the current clip?
    There most likely is but I'm not at my editing PC and cannot remember what it is (if there is one, that is!) at the moment...

One other thing..... Vegas in all it's forms kicks ass big time. It's loaded with features and you'll soon forget the loss of that one feature when you discover what else there is to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    There most likely is but I'm not at my editing PC and cannot remember what it is (if there is one, that is!) at the moment...

One other thing..... Vegas in all it's forms kicks ass big time. It's loaded with features and you'll soon forget the loss of that one feature when you discover what else there is to play with.
    Ah, I think that I may have found what I want in the manual:

Move left/right to event edit points including fade edges - Ctrl + Alt + Left/Right Arrow.

I'll try it this evening...

Thanks again,

_

I think there is a Script file to automatically add a marker at cut son the time line.

This script is based on Johnmeyer´s script which places markers at media changes. This modification allows placing markers at event start points even if all events “come” from the same media file.

VASST : Free Resources
    (you may need to register)

Cheema? Scripting?

"I've just downloaded the trial version of Vegas Movie Studio 7 "

- g

Sorry I just saw Vegas, but if he can now see what he is missing form the big one...

Do you think it is about time that this forum was split? It is starting to confuse people?

Quote Originally Posted by Z Cheema View Post
    Sorry I just saw Vegas, but if he can now see what he is missing form the big one...
    I would love to go for the full-monty but I really can't justify spending the same sort fo amount on my editing software as I spent on my Camcorder!

Anyway, I tried using the keyboard shortcuts ato do this and it didn't take too long, so I'm happy to use that work around...

Cheers,

_

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast