Thread: HD Export Settings Help Please

Default HD Export Settings Help Please

Dear All

I am a beginner to editing and have recently bought a Sony HDR-SR1E camera and Adobe Premier Elements 3 (APE3). I have a number of small, yet hopefully simple problems that I would love to crack!

Problem 1

When taking video images they obviously record each clip as a different file and when exporting those files via the Sony software export facility it saves them as individual m2t files. They then have to be changed via the Sony software into MPEG2 files which takes more time. I then have to use (APE3) to 'stitch' all of the small individual movie clips together into one big family movie that we can watch on the TV through an XBOX360 we have in the room. Is there any way I can shortcut any of this and is there a way to 'stitch' together the individual files any quicker?

Problem 2

When APE3 has finally finished exporting the stitched file as an MPEG2 when I try to play it through the XBOX360 in the sitting room via Windows Media Centre (the file sits on my computer upstairs and streams into the sitting room) the file is always in a letterbox format - ie black lines top and bottom of the screen. What do I need to do to enable APE3 to export this so it plays in the full screen of a HDTV.

When I play the Sony converted MPEG2 files prior to using APE3 to stitch them all together on the HDTV then look great and are in the full screen area.

Hope someone can me help with the above?

Many thanks James

Quote Originally Posted by James G UK View Post
    Dear All

I am a beginner to editing and have recently bought a Sony HDR-SR1E camera and Adobe Premier Elements 3 (APE3). I have a number of small, yet hopefully simple problems that I would love to crack!

Problem 1

When taking video images they obviously record each clip as a different file and when exporting those files via the Sony software export facility it saves them as individual m2t files.
    Not familiar with this Sony utility you mention. If this is some sort of USB connection then simply stop there and change to a firewire connection. Also, I'm a little surprised you're not using PE3 to capture. Maybe it's the high def thing cutting in.
    Anyway, whatever utility you are using, it sound like you have the equivalent of the "scenere detect" flag on. What this does is capture to different files every time the capture utility 'decides' the contencts of the frame has changed enough that it thinks it is a different scene and so starts recoridng to a new files. Check your settings. Maybe you can turn this feature off if it's on.

Also a littel surprised you are left with an M2T file. This is not really an editable format and is basically an MPEG2 stream. For best results you should not convert it to an MPEG2 fiules for editting but convert to an ABVI file.

I use a Sony high def camera and use a utility called Cineform HDLink for this capture and conversion. Dunno if it works for P Elements though.

I've never tried it but this software looks useful for HDV capture:

HDVSplit utility for HDV capturing with scene split - HDV capture utility

Apologies in advance if this this does not provide a solution.