Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: whats a good video editing program?

Default whats a good video editing program?

im just getting into the hobby so please bare with me. I was wondering if anyone knew a good video editing program. I would like it to have the ability to add special effects like explosions. Also, i have a video that was filmed somewhere, but i would like it to appear like it was filmed somewhere else. I have software that can delete parts of the video and color them in with something else, but this only works for the whole video. I would like software that allows me to go frame by frame and do this. Free is always a plus, but im willing to pay
    Thanks

Blog Entries

Hmm, not an easy one to answer really! There's such a choice covering a range of budgets. However, you suggest you wanted something close to free. With that in mind, you wouldn't be prepared to spend money on the likes of Adobe Premiere and I suggest you try out Pure Motion Edit Studio.

http://www.puremotion.com/

thanks, yea i was looking at adobe and i dont really want to spend upwards of $600

get vegas. I believe it's a bit cheaper and I personally believe it's better.
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 Dual-Channel
    Abit IS7-G
    2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Cache RAID 0
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

Indeed, Vegas > Everything. Get that.

Blog Entries

Whilst I admit that Vegas is indeed the business, in this person's case the cost is prohibitive. Edit Studio is between 5-10% of the cost of Vegas and an ideal starter package for the complete novice.

If you do get into the video editing bug, you can "upgrade" to one of the more expensive packages at a later date. If you're only ever going to be a casual user, I don't think it's worth paying the extra (unless you've got money to burn!)

You've also got to factor in the end user support. Take a look around the internet and you'll find more Premiere guides than any other editing app. No doubt the user base of Vegas will grow with the marketing clout of Sony, but if you're a novice and want to buy a book, grab a guide or ask a question on a forum, you'll have more luck with Premiere.

So, in summary, and although Vegas is a wonderful package worthy of anyone's purchase, it's simply too expensive to recommend to someone that wants a free application. Throw into the equation the massive user base of Adobe and you've got another reason not to go the Vegas route. Finally, Premiere can be used in conjuction with hardware such as the offerings from Matrox.

I'd recommend Vegas, and it would indeed suit this person down to a tee. But as he asked for a free application, I thought I'd suggest the free trial from Edit Studio first. If he finds this isn't what he needs, then yes, Vegas would be an option

Blog Entries

Oh, and avoid Pinnacle products like the plague.

GO HARDCORE AND GET PREIMER AND VEGAS! .... don't know how you'd do that with no $$ in your wallet......(cough, cough, cough)[/b]
    Frank Sinatra - \"Thats Life, Biatch\"

Default ---

Can software like Vegas, Pinnacle and the cheaper ones you can buy in stores do the cool effects like explosions, guns shooting, lightsabers etc. though??

Thanks,
    Richy

Default Re: ---

Quote Originally Posted by Richy
    Can software like Vegas, Pinnacle and the cheaper ones you can buy in stores do the cool effects like explosions, guns shooting, lightsabers etc. though??
    Probably not, if you want them to look realistic. First you will need some footage of an explosion. Personally I use ParticleIllusion 3 to generate these (whihc does oh so much more than just explosions). Once you have your exsplosion footage, sourced from wherever, it will need to be composited over your movie footage. This is an artform in itself and is where the real $$$ come in. Something like After Affects puts Premiere Pro to shame in the cost stakes.

One possible answer though, is to rotoscope it all by hand. Frame by frame merge the two clips using an image editor like Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro. It will take you ages (and boy do I mean ages!) but will save you $$$s.

Oh, and Gwenny, I hope that cough sorts itself out soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast