Thread: Animated Arrows

Default Animated Arrows

OK, as an exercise and the mostly because I need the practise with my glidecam I was thinking of attempting to reproduce one of those golf graphics where you walk around the putting green and show the contours of the grass by animating arrows over the top of the footage to show which way is downhill and how fast.

So far I'm expecting to produce a nice arrow graphic and duplicate it as a layer a number of times in After Effects, make each layer a 3d layer and animate it's position in 3d space to get the effect I want.

I just wondered, can anyone think of an easier way?

How about creating a video of a group of arrows moving back and forth (Effectively pointing) save this as .mov RGB+Alpha to keep the transparency intact. This will save on pre-composing and render times.

These could be dropped on the footage resized, rotated even distorted to show where the ball gathers in to a certain point or to show the crest of a hill maybe warp them to follow the contours.

Because the footage has the alpha channel intact you could add a drop shadow to give the impression of the arrows floating or use the alpha to create 3d arrows.

I'd like to see the footage, graphics or not, does the arm help with keeping things steady or just with the weight?
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    How about creating a video of a group of arrows moving back and forth (Effectively pointing) save this as .mov RGB+Alpha to keep the transparency intact. This will save on pre-composing and render times.

These could be dropped on the footage resized, rotated even distorted to show where the ball gathers in to a certain point or to show the crest of a hill maybe warp them to follow the contours.

Because the footage has the alpha channel intact you could add a drop shadow to give the impression of the arrows floating or use the alpha to create 3d arrows.
    Soem good stuff in there. Some of it I have already though about and some I hadn't. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    I'd like to see the footage, graphics or not, does the arm help with keeping things steady or just with the weight?
    "The arm"? are you referring to the glidecam arm support thingy? If so then I use a Smooth Shooter with my Glidecam 2000 Pro. See here. Alan's Smooth Shooter Pics

But I'm way out of practice - hence this exercise.