Thread: Creating a White Room effect...

Question Creating a White Room effect...

Hi all, I've storyboarded white room sequences in a music vid I am working on and now wondering how to do. I want a really fuzzy around the edges pure white room where in one corner there will be a dark prop (and later an actor). our studio has chromakeyed walls and i have a green tarp for the floor, and was thinking about trying that but wondering if there is a way in post to make any room a "white room." thanks!
    BS

A well lit white sheet, set the camera to manual and expose for the actors/props. this will cause the white area to become overexposed and therefore invisible to camera. Create a garbage matte around the actors/props and then the white can go on forever.

Use baffles to make sure the backlights don't hit the actor and light them seperately.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    A well lit white sheet, set the camera to manual and expose for the actors/props. this will cause the white area to become overexposed and therefore invisible to camera. Create a garbage matte around the actors/props and then the white can go on forever.

Use baffles to make sure the backlights don't hit the actor and light them seperately.
    thx so much for the superfast answer! i like the idea. not sure how to create the garbage mat, but can figure that out. can u say more about using "baffles" ...is that to prevent shadows? with this idea it seems i can use a tight frame around the actor and prop since everything else is going out to white yes? there is a sequence later where everything goes black around the actor and i just shoot his silloute. this is a first-time in nepal kinda shot, as most vids here are bollywood-style. thx again.

If your lights have barn doors (flaps on the front) then adjust these to keep the light off the actors. If not then stand and a piece of plywood or board next to the light to achieve the same effect.

A garbage matte is a mask drawn around the point of interest making everything outside it transparent, then throw in a white background to fill in the rest of the frame.

Like This:

http://www.photo-edits.com/video/white-room.wmv
    Last edited by miwhel; 04-10-2007 at 07:09 PM.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

What exactly is a "white room" in this context? Clearly this is a gap in my education.

dear mi,
    that's the effect that i want in closeup but in the establishing shot i want to show that the prop is in a "room" and not floating in white space... here is the actual storyboard
    thx!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    What exactly is a "white room" in this context? Clearly this is a gap in my education.
    Alan, I doubt there is any gap in this regard, as this concept is as fuzzy as my half-century graymatter, but i remember the room in a circa 60s-70s sci-fi flic, can't recall the title, where there was a character who winds up in a completly white room (charlton heston?) with the actor who played the insane scientist from "fantastic voyage" for somesorta reprogramming. ya know you are in a room but you can't see how big it is, it's bigger than a toilet but could be as large as a gym. that kinda white room....