Thread: Greenscreen reflection on cheeks, what's the best way to remove?

Default Greenscreen reflection on cheeks, what's the best way to remove?

hi all, I have a Greenscreen reflection on actors cheeks, and wondering what's the best way to remove? I have Advantage and Ultra2 (used to key out the greenscreen). And for future reference, how to avoid? we are using a chromakeyed wall with a halogen flood. perhaps better lighting on the actors would help...or distance from the wall?

As I replied in your white room post, make sure the lights for the screen doesn't spill on to the actor (use baffles or put the screen lights level or just behind the actors) and light the actor seperately with diffused light to minimize shadows.

The actor should be at least 8 feet from the screen if possible.

Avoid hotspots on the screen as much as possible, in Ultra2 you can create a garbage matte around the actor which will help the keying process. Use the color correction adjustments built in to Ultra to kill some of the green spill but go steady on the spill suppression otherwise you may end up cutting off fingers and stuff.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

I've yet to try this out as I haven't done any green or blue screen work since, but i picked up what seems like a nice tip a while ago.

Put magenta filters on your back lights, the opposite colour helps kill any green spill.

David.

Don;t know your s/w specifically but the conceopts I would play with to get rid of this reflection is to "pre blur" and "shrink the matt" down by a bit. These effectively reduce the size of the matt and should reduce the effect you are seeing.

nesxt, apply a "matt choker" if you have one which sort of does more of the same.

And finally, look for 'despill' settings and play with them.

thanks all for ur replys, ideas are working. i just have to reshoot that sequence with your suggestions. ultra2 is just a bear to figure out and damn slow, and the ultimatte plugin does a better key faster, but is limited in tweaking. i'll try the magenta tip too, that sounds interesting...

Default One More Note On Ultra Vs. Ultimatte

i JUST STARTED USING ultimatte advantedge and i really prefer the key there to ultra, it's so much faster and easier to use and it's a plugin. BUT, what about shadows? do i have to add a shadow track somehow...Ultra 2 did that nicely. thanks!!!!!
    BS

If you have a fast graphics card make sure ultra is set to use GPU, and this should help speed things up. Be careful shrinking the matte as this will cut off the fine details. If you use the magenta lighting use it on the actor and not the background. Magenta is the opposite to green so lighting the actor helps to remove green spill that might be picked up by the camera.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production