Thread: Editing PC Upgrade advice

Default Editing PC Upgrade advice

Right i already have a resonably good editing computer but i'm planning an upgrade.

At the moment i use the Adobe Production Premium package but i'm going to get CS3 suite when it's released. However i was considering switching to Avid Xpress Pro, worth it?

Although at the moment all i edit is Mini DV SD footage, i want to have an HDV ready system so when i upgrade my camera, i am ready straight away.

I'm curious about HD capture cards, or different qualities of capture cards?
    Also i'm curious about a Core 2 Quad core Extreme, or a Xeon Quad core, which would you suggest?

What would be the best things to buy for my HD edit system (e.g. screens, capture card, graphics card, processor).

Thanks

Blog Entries

Not sure about avid express over premier but avid is not used by many here - expensive and heavy on system resources and may not offer anything extra to most people in most situations.

Capture cards - no need to worry, you only need a firewire card, any f wire card.

As for processors, both would be great but I suspect a xeon may be a bit (little bit) faster than a core 2.

Stabilty is very important for an editing system so anything 'overclocky' should be avoided.

Spec a few disc drives and keep the system on one and video on another. If you have the cash maybe considor a safe raid array - the thought of losing my 4 years of work gives me the chills, I dont have raid but back up to removable drives.

G cards arent really that imposrtant, just get a mid range card that is up to date.

Screens - 2 is a great advantage, or 3, or 4....

Blog Entries

Not sure about avid express over premier but avid is not used by many here - expensive and heavy on system resources and may not offer anything extra to most people in most situations.

Capture cards - no need to worry, you only need a firewire card, any f wire card.

As for processors, both would be great but I suspect a xeon may be a bit (little bit) faster than a core 2.

Stabilty is very important for an editing system so anything 'overclocky' should be avoided.

Spec a few disc drives and keep the system on one and video on another. If you have the cash maybe considor a safe raid array - the thought of losing my 4 years of work gives me the chills, I dont have raid but back up to removable drives.

G cards arent really that imposrtant, just get a mid range card that is up to date.

Oh yea, if you have the cash, what about that new mac with 8 cores? I am an XP / PC person but that mac would rule for editing, running XP / vegas for me it would rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark W View Post

Oh yea, if you have the cash, what about that new mac with 8 cores? I am an XP / PC person but that mac would rule for editing, running XP / vegas for me it would rule.
    I'm starting to favour the Xeon now, but i got the crazy idea from somewhere that if you have a Xeon Quad, you need to buy 4 of them. Is this true?

Can you get HD screens? and is it possible to have two screens for the PC and a third screen for full screen Premiere Pro playback.

What is a safe raid?