Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: canon md120 editing on pc?

Default canon md120 editing on pc?

hi, just be given a canon md120 digital video camcorder can you explain how i edit the video, on the pc what software do i need i use micrisoft photo editing now but i cannot get the format right to edit it
    thanke for any advice james

Connect the camera using a firewire (aka DV/ IEEE1394/ ilink) cable and switch it on in playback mode, then use windows movie maker to capture and edit. tick the more settings box in the capture settings window and choose DV-AVI from the list.

The files will be large but they will be the best quality that the camera can give you.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

thanks a lot did what you suggested and it works fine,
    great forum james

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Connect the camera using a firewire (aka DV/ IEEE1394/ ilink) cable and switch it on in playback mode, then use windows movie maker to capture and edit. tick the more settings box in the capture settings window and choose DV-AVI from the list.

The files will be large but they will be the best quality that the camera can give you.
    hi. i bought myself a Canon MD120 too. I tried to connect it via the firewire but the movie maker cannot detect my camera. Even downloaded the Zoom Ex Browser too. Same result. FYI my notebook is running on Vista Home Basic. Pls help me.

Try another Firewire cable and make sure IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers is showing in the Device Manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikosony View Post
    Try another Firewire cable and make sure IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers is showing in the Device Manager.
    Thanx for the suggestion.

The IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers is enabled in the Device Manager. Bought a new firewire cable..still the my computer cannot detect the camera. Is there any other way i can try. A software maybe?

Canon is a strange company and I don't know if they do this with their camcorders but here goes. When you buy one of their digital cameras they insist you use the software that comes with it so you can view pictures and videos. As far as I can remember their digital consumer cameras (correct me if I'm wrong) don't appear in MyComputer as removable drives so you are forced to use the Canon software that is supplied on cd. Check the cd you got with your camcorder to see if there is anything you need to install first before your computer will recognise it. You may also have to use software on the cd for transferring your videos and still images (if your camcorder takes still pictures).

Thanx again,

I guess u r right. They r strange. Went to the canon after sales and service office this afternoon...guess what. The customer care officer at the counter actually called one of the so called "main distributor" of the brand in my town and asked for solutions. ..but just to cover all angles i just go with the flow and went to the distributor store and....they "confirmed" that "this kind of model" (read: MD120) didn't come with a cd.

I can't think of anything else at the moment, sorry. I just love job descriptions such as Customer Care Officer, I must add that one to my list.

...only at Canon......just don't forget to keep posting when u find any solutions to my problem. When u do maybe i can recommend u as a customer care officer at a canon office somewhere...lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast