Thread: Format/Editing Dilemma

Thumbs up Format/Editing Dilemma

Hi folks, It would be greatly appreciated if anyone can sort this for me.

A week ago, following the birth of my son, I rushed into Comet and bought the first camcorder I could lay my hands on, just like the rank amateur I am.

My choice turned out to be a Sony Handycam DCR-DVD 105E. I also picked up a handful of DVD-RW discs as recommended by the sales adviser.

Having got it home, the kit appears to be simple enough to use and comes supplied with Nero Express 6 which enables me to transfer the footage from the camcorder disc onto fullsize DVD+R discs for distribution among friends and relatives.

Good so far.

Now, I see that I can record the footage in two modes - Video, or VR. Recording in VR allows me to use the simple on-board tools to edit the footage, a feature which I find highly convernient. However, when I try to transfer the footage to fullsize DVD+R on my computer (Compaq/XP/DVD+RW Player-Writer) ysing the Nero Software, I find I am unable to do this. Recording the footage in Video mode DOES allow me to transfer, but does not allow for onboard camcorder editing.

So, is there anything I can do to enable transfer of VR edited footage to full size DVD's?
    Or is there any editing software I can buy that will allow me to edit footage recorded in Video mode on my PC?

I pledge I will buy a beer for persons supplying useful info! Cheers!

Blog Entries

DVD camcorders are (to nick someone elses phrase) the spawn of Satan.

The best advice is to take it back, get a refund and buy a camcorder that records to mini DV tape. The quality is better (by far! ) , footage is about a zillion times easier to edit and you wont be spending fortunes on those discs.

So will I then be able to plug the DV tape camera into my PC and stick the footage on DVD?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 08hamster View Post
    So will I then be able to plug the DV tape camera into my PC and stick the footage on DVD?
    Yep, you getr a firewire board (if you don't already have a socket), plug the camera in, use Windows Movie Maker (free in XP) to edit, just need a dvd authoring package.