Thread: How do they do it!!

Default How do they do it!!

G'day,
    I have recently started experimenting with my video software and camera with the intention of producing short films for my motor bike club. This is the question: What compressor, software, and hardware do film makers use when they make dvds? Im using adobe premiere pro 2.0 and i have a pretty good sony DVcamera. How do they fit so much top quality video on a dvd when i need 10 dvds to fit my film on? When i compress the video just slightly it turns to crap and its still 10gig over what it should be. There has to be a straight foward answer to this....

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Default

video on dvd has been transcoded and compressed from the bog standard dv-avi file into mpeg-2 for the dvd player to read..

there is a bit more to it but any dvd authoring package should doo all the compressing for you.

in the past i have had about 5 hours of video on a standar single layer dvd, Encore (dvd building software) transcodes and compresses very well but once you go for long running times your quality drops quite a bit!

When you capture the video do you compress it? or do you capture it in a uncompressed format?

cheers

i dont know about the last bit but i tend to get about 1hr 25 mins on a dvd.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CheWiN View Post
    When you capture the video do you compress it? or do you capture it in a uncompressed format?
    Capture uncompressed AVI, then edit, then re-compress to MPEG 2 for DVD.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lakes View Post
    i dont know about the last bit but i tend to get about 1hr 25 mins on a dvd.
    you can get more but for best quality you are looking only up to 2 hours.... from then on there is a marked difference in quality loss