Thread: Help!!! I have a badQ tape from client in NTSC - Working on a PAL project...

Exclamation Help!!! I have a badQ tape from client in NTSC - Working on a PAL project...

hi, first time caller but old time editor using premiere pro 2 and stuck. i've posted this problem on my fav forum (until i found this one by chance) here: DMN Forum: Adobe Premiere Pro

i'm not giving up, and i want clean video for my client's project. i've back tracked the problem to the source so to speak. i've analog captured dv using the snazzio card, using the NTSC DV preset. it seems like the best option the software has. Other's are mpeg and divx, no good for premiere. so what to do? I am thinking now that if i take the ntsc cam and hook to my pal capture cap direct, i might get better results via firewire? does that sound doable? anyway, here is the real problem i think, the snazzio capture card is converting the dv stream using a codec called dvsd (see www.FOURCC.org - Video Codecs and Pixel Formats for definition. this codec even makes virtualdub/Avisynth barf, as well as myself when i look at the captured footage.

the tape cam from an unknown camera with unknown settings during the shoot (the cam was stolen from the client last week). all they know is that it was a canon. the only ntsc cam i have for capture is a fairly good sony circa 2001 with a broken firewire port. my rewind cam is a PAL pani400 (great camera). so will doing a video out of the sony and a video into the pani, and then record, then transfer work. oh crap probally not right, you can't convert NTSC to PAL that way - can you?

back to my captured footage. it just looks bad even as straight ntsc capture. i used canopus procoder to convert to pal before import into premiere and it looks a little better (i'm assuming it's converting upper to lower fields and changing the size to 720x576 and that's it)

I tried taking the ntsc into the premiere PAL project but that just won't cut it, as after scaling it looks even worse. so far the procoder clips look the best, but way below my standards. so what to do?

I can't even play around with the captured files in virtualdub due to the before mentioned 4cc codec problem. and i have to get this job out by sunday....

thanks for listening,
    bluestupa
    phoenixstudios.com.np

Probably too late now, try using the filters in pro coder. Can virtualdub import the pro coder vid and then clean it a bit that way.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

i had the same sort of problem some time ago, in truth i am not that great at all this stuff but what i found out is that i had to get hold of the sme make of camera that the film was taken on to get any good capture to be able to edit from, i had started to do use my sony cam but the capture was very poor. after a few days of asking around i got my hands on a cannon camera. did this using the firewire.
    I have always had problem converting NTSC to Pal but i did get my hands on Blaze Media Pro software and it worked.
    heres the link for you.
    Convert PAL <-> NTSC, NTSC <-> PAL Converter Video / MPEG Software

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    Probably too late now, try using the filters in pro coder. Can virtualdub import the pro coder vid and then clean it a bit that way.
    Thanks, that what I wound up doing, converting the capture and cleaning in procoder...it seems to have a lot of function that virtualdub has, just different names for the filters and options. Anyway, the footage is workable, but a problem in premiere as for some reason the render times skyrocketed when i put this oddball footage in. arg...but thx. appreciate the comments and while media blaze pro is cool (and cheap) procoder has been working in my bay for years, never fails.
    BS