Thread: Looking for a free digital editing program.

Wink Looking for a free digital editing program.

Hi,

I am new here. I need to find a free digital video editing program.

I make home movies. I would like to know if there is a free program that allows me to play with the sound track of my video. I am pretty good with audio wave editing as i do have a virtual recording studio (cubase). But i am really new to editing digital video.
    I was given a Sony DCR-SR40 as a gift and the video editing software that came with the cam is...well, i think, not good enough. Maybe i am missing something.

It seems every time i try to search for free editors, i am always brought to a purchase page, or the program is not free at all. Really time consuming and frustrating for me.

I don't even know what to search for, really. So, i thought about asking you sexy, helpful know-it-all's.

Here are some main things i would like to do, if they are at all possible to do with a free digital video editor.

- I would like to import soundtracks that i create in cubase into the video's audio track. What sort of format is the audio track anyway in digital video...wave, mp3, etc?

- I am wondering if i am able to like...crop the video.
    For example, i have a few videos that show people's faces and i need to edit the faces out. Their faces are at the far side of the video. So, i am thinking sort of like jpg editing....where we can crop a selected area of the photo and leave the rest intact. Is that possible with a free editor? Or at all? I want to keep the scene but only trim around the edges to take out his face.

General question:
    Are we able to make photos from video scenes?
    There are some frames that i would like to make jpg's with. How would i do that, if possible?

I am hoping that only the people with real knowledge of what i am trying to do will respond instead of a few people merely suggesting 'this or that' - there are already enough google searches to confuse me.
    So, please, if you don't really know, don't suggest because I am not the brainiest thing around.
    Think, "Bimbo", here, ok?

Thanks everyone,
    Dahlia,
    xoxo

If you have windows xp then you already have a free editing program called Windows movie maker
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Hi FNG,

Yes, i know i have that program but i am not able to make it work because i keep getting a windows explorer error message. I dont know what movie maker can do.
    That explorer error message is a whole other kettle of fish, however.

The fact that i have XP and i still ask for advice, i hope, will get you folks thinking in regards to my qustions.
    Can windows movie maker do all that i asked about? I have no idea - i can't get it to work.

Thanks, anyway.
    Dahlia
    xoxo

Sounds like you need to reinstall xp to me.
    But read you first post properly now and you really need to look a adobe premier. This is NOT free, but the things you want to do there is no free software that i know about out there. What was the name of the software that came with the camera, was it pinnacle. If so this will do what you require. You can export stills with this program and with movie maker also. Other than that i would look to buy a better software such as adobe premier.
    DUDE were's my car
    www.myspace.com/cheapdirt07

Hi FNG,

Thanks.

I don't have the XP disc, and the non-genuine XP installed in my PC is a system pack 1.

I still use dial-up, too (blushes) so, for me, downloading large files simply takes forever and a couple of days.

I have tried to use the editing software which came with my camcorder.
    It's called "ImageMaker" for HDD Camcorder and i think it's made by PIXELA, there is a product registration link on the Sony disc leading to the Pixela webpage.

And i do need to do "something" but i have no idea what it is, because when i edit videos with the ImageMaker, i am able to edit, however, every time i try to click on the folder where the edited movies are sent to by ImageMaker (the destination folder) so i can see the finished product, i get the windows explorer error message i mentioned in my previous post, and then ImageMaker is shut down and then XP restarts itself...(long sighing sound heard).

The ImageMaker only allows me to delete segments of video so far - i think. I have not played around with it much because i am not able to open the edited movies that it edits.
    When i try to import a movie into Movie Maker i get the same error message. And i am not able to download and install a new Movie Maker because i get some error message telling me that it's not a valid Win32 application or something like that.

This PC i have was actually given to me by someone - it was his old one. It's a nice PC i think, but Mann oh Mann, i am having trouble with this windows explorer error, and the "this file is not a valid Win32 application" error.
    (longer sighing sound is heard).

I was hoping there would be some other editor i could try or at least learn about, but as i said, i am not the brightest thing around - especially when dealing with computers which don't perform well. I am basically a chatter (amongst other things)... but, a tech i am not. I am not up to date at all - if i was ever up to date.

Am i doomed?

Thanks again,
    Dahlia,
    xoxo

Here is a link to Avid Free DV. It's a stripped down version of their more higher end products. But it IS free. But since your using dial-up....you may want to let it run overnight.

Professional DV Editing for the enthusiast

Hi Raindog,

Thanks. I guess i can try that.

(Probably take three weeks to download and when i try to install it, i'll get an error message.)

I sure hope i can find something that works.

(I really should bring this PC to the doctor's office.)

I want to thank you nice guys for helping me out.

Many thanks,
    Dahlia,
    xoxo

Raindog?

This site looks really familiar to me. I actually think i downloaded this AVID before with no luck.

I have nothing else to do so i will try it again and let you know what it says when i try to install it. I wish i was smarter.

Sitting with my head beside a fan, to get a refill of air.
    Dahlia,
    xoxo

Have a look at Zwei-Stein Video Editor, http://www.zs4.net/