Thread: How would I do this? [Advanced]

Default How would I do this? [Advanced]

Possibly the weirdest question you will ever see, but in video editing I guess nothing is impossible. But I'm not sure of the answer so here's the question...

How would I make my height smaller in a homemade movie? Basically I want to do a movie and shrink my height whilst keeping the room the same size etc. Is there any software which can select/isolate objects using colour codes? Abit like a lasso?

I always thought it would be good if you could pick & isolate objects out of an actual movie and edit that object whilst keeping everything else unedited. I'm pretty sure it can be done? Is there any software out there which can help?

Perhaps it would involve doing an overtake of frames?

Cheers

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by jaxm View Post
    Possibly the weirdest question you will ever see, but in video editing I guess nothing is impossible. But I'm not sure of the answer so here's the question...

How would I make my height smaller in a homemade movie? Basically I want to do a movie and shrink my height whilst keeping the room the same size etc. Is there any software which can select/isolate objects using colour codes? Abit like a lasso?

I always thought it would be good if you could pick & isolate objects out of an actual movie and edit that object whilst keeping everything else unedited. I'm pretty sure it can be done? Is there any software out there which can help?

Perhaps it would involve doing an overtake of frames?

Cheers

Jax
    This is not nearly as advanced as you think it is - if you do it properly

What you can't do though is just film someone and then make them appear smaller within the same background. Think about it. It's nto that you can;t do it but when you make the person smalelr you are effectviely cuttign them out from teh background, shrinking what's in the paste buffer )(so to speak) and then pasting it back in. Doing this would leave a nasty hole in the footage and as what are pasting back is smaller it won;t, by definition, fill it. Problems.

What you have to do is film your footage with the effect in mind. It means changigna few things but the editting task becomes reasonably trivial.

Firstly, film your background matarial. Easy.
    Now, film you actor/talent in front of a blue or green screen - you can see where I'm going already can't you?

Capture both bits of footage.

Put your background footage on layer 1 of your timeline and the talent on layer 2. Drop the relevant chroma key filter on your talent layer (for the background colour used blue/green). The background screen disappear placfing yoru talent withint your background footage.

Now the magic bit, simply scale your talen layer to taste making them as small or as big as you want.

Job done.

That is fantastic. What a reply!

To be honest I hoped the process would be something along these lines, but always thought some kinda of algorithm was needed, haha, it sure is as advanced as you make it I suppose...this option is my new friend

I'll give it a go!

Thanks mate!

Jax

Quote Originally Posted by jaxm View Post
    That is fantastic. What a reply!
    Invoice for top-notch consultancy is in the post