Thread: Where do I begin?! I think my DV in got fried...

Angry Where do I begin?! I think my DV in got fried...

Okay I'm going to go through the motions on this one, chronologically. For reference sake I use a Sony DCR-TRV230 and I run on Windows XP - it uses DIGITAL8 TAPES

- I pulled my firewire out of my firewire card too harshly by mistake (obviously) and the wire actually wedged some of the card in it's prongs, making the wire completely useless. So I figure, hey I just need an new firewire. So off I go to get one.

- I realize after purchasing a NEW wire, that this wont work in any of my 3 card ports, obviously the 1 wouldn't work, but the other two didn't either. I come too the conclusion that my card fried.

(KEEP IN MIND AT THIS POINT, MY COMPUTER ISN'T READING MY CAMERA AT ALL, I PLUG IT IN AND GET NO "NEW HARDWARE" MESSAGES.

- I order a new card and cable, they come, I try it, it still doesn't work. I now KNOW it's not the card, because it's brand new, and it might be a foreign cable (I've got a Sony camera, and knowing Sony, it's not completely impossible). It's STILL NOT READING

- I buy a USB2 4-6 cable for my camera. My card works because I have an ipod in there that works... now it READS, but it gives a message that it's UNABLE to locate the hardware, what I mean by this is, it READS that something exists, but it WONT read my camera, now I assumed it could be some old drivers, so I FINALLY locate some drivers, install them and it STILL won't work.

Here is my final thought.

1) Maybe I've got the wrong drivers, and I wont be able to get new ones because the camera is SO old.

2) My DV IN on my camera is fried, it probably happened when the card got short-circuited

3) Something else that I don't understand.

And here are a few things I have come up with as solutions...

1) I just FORGET about all my stuff I taped over the years (Which I REALLY DONT WANT TO DO) and buy a new HD camera in a few years (which I was going to do eventually).

2) Buy a cheap cheap old camera that uses digital8 tapes I can just use to edit with. Because my camera still WORKS to film and do everything, except edit.

3) This is more of a question, does such a technology exist... that I can buy a sort of TAPE DECK, that plugs into my computer and I can edit tapes via that? A third party device basically, something to just harness whats on the tape, and I can just film with my camera?

I'd love some suggestions.

I get the following message when I plug my USB2 cable into my camera. (-Card Works, Cable obviously works.)

"USB Device Not Recognized

One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. For assistance in solving this problem, click this message."

It's just strange.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwigumfilms View Post

2) My DV IN on my camera is fried, it probably happened when the card got short-circuited
    That would be my guess, but I'd confirm it by trying it on another PC

2) Buy a cheap cheap old camera that uses digital8 tapes I can just use to edit with. Because my camera still WORKS to film and do everything, except edit.
    That would be what I would do if I wanted to retain the full quality of the original footage. If I wasn't too bothered, I'd feed the digital 8 footage out through the analogue outputs into some form of analogue capture device.

3) This is more of a question, does such a technology exist... that I can buy a sort of TAPE DECK, that plugs into my computer and I can edit tapes via that? A third party device basically, something to just harness whats on the tape, and I can just film with my camera?
    They certainly used to exist, and may still do. Sony make/made them. But VERY expensive. Second-hand digital 8 cameras are cheaper on eBay. (You can always re-sell it when you are through with it....)