Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony TRV 355E Firewire problem

Angry Sony TRV 355E Firewire problem

I have transfered videos a number of times using the Firewire port on my Sony TRV 355E without any problems.

Today I tried to do this and the DV IN flashes on the LCD and then disappears. The camcorder is not seen by Windows XP Pro. I have tried this on four computers and using both 6:4 and 4:4 cables. The results are the same. The device manager reports that all is well with the 1394 connection.

The USB transfer works perfectly. Of course the camcorder cannot be controlled from the computer using USB.

Anyone have any idea how to "fix" this.

Thanks.

Are you trying to transfer from the PC to the camera, or the other way around?

Hi,

I am transerring from the camera to the PC. I have done this before with no hassles.

Thank you for the interest.

Regards.

Blog Entries

It could be that the firewire port on the camera has fried. It's not uncommon if the socket has been plugged in or out when still switched on. Other threads on the forum have described this and it seems the only fix is damn expensive.

I'm inclined to agree with Andy.

If you could borrow another camera and get your PC to recognise it OK then that would more or less confirm a camera fault.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. You have confirmed by suspicions. I can just imagine how much the Sony agents here in Israel will charge!

I will just have to transfer using USB.

Once gain, thanks for the interest.

Hi,

I have checked the firewire port on the PC by connecting my notebook to it and I hear the "ding" so all seems to be well with the port.

Thank you for the suggestion but is seems the port on the camera is fried and I will just have to use USB. Not the end of the world.

Again, thanks.

I Have a Sony HC19E and after 1year mine packed in last night wont connect with firewire cable.Wont even connect with usb .
    Dont know if its cam or Computer.I did install a Brother printer/scanner but cant see why that would conflict.
    Looks like a new cam

Hi,

Looks like we have both fried the firewire port. However, mine does work with the USB port.

Strange thing is that I also have a Brother Printer (MFC-5440CN) attached using both USB and Network connections. However, I have transferred video from the camcorder to my PC long after I installed the printer. I have connected my LG Notebook to the PC using Firewire with no problem so the PC's Firewire port is ok.

Regarding the USB prolem, have you installed the Sony Software and drivers or removed the USB driver by accident?

Hope this helps,

Regards.

Further info i tried firewire again today widdled the cable in cam and it came on for a split second and then went off, tried a few times and it was on and off.Think i have widdled to far as the thing gone completley now.So its broke now alright,not sure if it will be cheaper just to get a new Cam.The usb is now working no probs,Can i still edit video with the usb if so dont know how using power director,can only find away using usb stream which is no good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast