Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My future editing suite

Default My future editing suite

Im planning to build my own editing suite in september 2008, here is the equipment on my list so far, obviously this list will change by next year, because of various technological advances. but here it is, tell me what you think

1. Apple Mac "Macpro" wiht 1000gb hard drive, 2x3ghz processers, and 8gb memory
    2.Two 23inch HD screens, im not sure about this, but i was hopeing to be able to edit in onescreen, and watch back on the other screen, like in college.
    3.Final Cut Studio
    4.Sony HDR-HC1E camcorder.

Thats it so far, any feedback would be appriciated, let me know what youve got in your editing set up.

Is this serious? You're speccing a new PC for a year and a half's time. I would worry about it when you've saved up and if I was speccing a wonder-box for next year I'd aim higher than that.

ok, how higher?

Whatever your budget allows in September 2008.

I know the title is editing suite.....but as you've listed a camera at No. 4.....I think you should cut back on the editing side and possible spend a bit more on a better specced camera....I think it might be the weakest link so far.

I agree with torby about the camera... and 8Gb of ram would be a bit excessive unless you're planning on doing some real heavy 3d animation and compositing. Definatley upgrade the RAM, but as 8GB will set your dad back almost 2 grand (more than the machine itself) I'd consider leaving it at 4GB.

You can garantee that by sept 2008 the mac pro 2x3GHz won't be available anyway. It's pointless coming up with a wish list for almost 2 years time! Wait for the moment, don't try to spend Daddys money before you need to!
    If that's the setup you really want, buy it for Uni, do your coursework on it at home as I did, this will save you having to share systems with the course idiots, give you more time to work, and save you travelling so much. And THEN use it to establish your business.
    By 2008 an iMac is likely to be more powerfull than that anyway at half the cost. I always wanted a G4 PowerMac, by the time I got round to buying a machine for Uni, the weakest iMac was twice the spec of 'my dream PowerMac', It got me through Uni, and established my production business, on a whopping 800Mhz CPU and 756Mb Ram! - It's not the Tech, It's what you do with it!

The Morals of the story are:
    - Don't think that technology will be the same in 6 months let alone 2 years.
    - Throwing money into a suite doesn't make your work look better, or make you any better of an editor.
    - Macs rock!

I helped him get lost.

u people act as if ur the only ppl with n e knowledge, all i did was as a simple question. fuck u lot. need to get a life outside of forums. mite aswell close the thread i aint commin bk to this forum, all i wanted was help, but u wonna act like pricks

FUCK YOU!

thank you those who tried to help

Shamrock

I suspect that you may have been offended by Luke's comment.

It was not directed at you. It was directed at a message left by a spammer. Mihai the moderator later deleted the spammers message.

So it looks like Luke was calling you a spammer. He wasn't.

Your language is a bit colourful though mate!

All the other replies to your post have been given in good faith, and with no offence intended.
    Last edited by bert6280; 04-02-2007 at 08:21 PM.

I have tidied up Lukes now-out-of-context-reply by soft deleting it to avoid any further misunderstandings here. No offence intended with the delete Luke.

btw Luke is it true that when your parents were training you to eat yoru dinner properly as a young kid and you kept going back to using a spoon that your dad said "You must learn the ways of the forks Luke!" Been wanting to do that one for ages now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast