Thread: How to create a rain effect

Default How to create a rain effect

Hello - is there any way to create a rain effect in Adobe Premier Pro 1.5? I don't mean one like in the Matrix - just a simple rain weather effect to put over some footage I have.

Thanks,

Robin

Unless you know of a plugin I don't then you won't do this in Premier pro.

However, try this out. Download this and drop it on your timeline above your footage and apply a luma key to it.

http://www.alandmills.co.uk/rain.avi

This is a one second clip I just generated for you to try. If it works and you want a longer clip then let me know.

Just tried this myself. Obviously very quick and dirty but it sort of works.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 03-30-2007 at 08:27 PM.

Default Rain

Hi alan,

Wow thanks very much. This works great. It's for a young person's project I'm helping out with and whole thing is a bit leftfield so this fits nicely!! If you are able to send a longer clip that would be great. If not I'll just loop it and see how it looks.

Whilst I'm on - can you recommend a 'dream like' transition - you know the corny wibbly wobbly looking one?

I really appreciate your help. I'll send you a link to the finished film.

Robin

I create a "black video" clip on Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.7, then I apply the Bravo Studio Pack 2 "Rain" effect plugin over it, then export it as an AVI, and then I can use it as stock footage to apply as a composite clip in Adobe Premiere Elements. I do the same for fog, fire, and snow.

Similar concept here. I use particleIllusion3 to generate all my 'particle' stuff like rain, fog, fire, explosions etc etc.

Purely as a concept I bashed the attached clip together in a couple fo minutes (actually closer to ten because it took that long to find the right 'particle emitter'). The generated AVI files are clearly going to get big so I just generated out about a second to keep file size down.

I think what I should do if anyone need more is generate it out as HDV then it can be reduced for SD and give smaller drops.

File sizes will be big though which is the limiting factor. Robinf, how much footage do you actually need to work with?

hi Alan - I've just looped the footage and it looks fine. The actual clip is 30 seconds long.

thanks again for all your help.

robin

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    Similar concept here. I use particleIllusion3 to generate all my 'particle' stuff like rain, fog, fire, explosions etc etc.

Purely as a concept I bashed the attached clip together in a couple fo minutes (actually closer to ten because it took that long to find the right 'particle emitter'). The generated AVI files are clearly going to get big so I just generated out about a second to keep file size down.

I think what I should do if anyone need more is generate it out as HDV then it can be reduced for SD and give smaller drops.

File sizes will be big though which is the limiting factor. Robinf, how much footage do you actually need to work with?

Hi , can u share the P3 library for that effect? that would be really cool for us P3 users...thx

Quote Originally Posted by bluestupa View Post
    Hi , can u share the P3 library for that effect? that would be really cool for us P3 users...thx
    water_01.il3 available as a download from the wondertouch web site.