Thread: What Tripods, need some names.

1. Default What Tripods, need some names.

Hi, first post here so be gentle

Ive just left university and managed to get some work making some showreels for a professional actor going from theatre to film. However the kit I currently have in my possession is not all that hot. I miss using the decent Vinten tripods that we used at uni.

So my question is, what other alternative tripods are there that would not hurt my wallet as much.
    Im hoping to get a good run down on low end through middle up to high cost versions. Basically anything that will work with a mini DV camera sinilar to an XL1 or sony HDV. Just like everyone I need something smooth which can create nice easy slow pans and tilts.
    I hope someone can help, thanks in advance

If you want smooth at a price....second hand....if you can get them.....Vinten or Manfrotto....there's no substitute for quality

Blog Entries

Manfrotto are the best in your price bracket (Vintens are actually made by Manfrotto anyway).

Don't go for Libec, east european or Chinese gear, it weighs a ton and doesn't take any punishment. You'll often hear wannabees trying to sound "professional" by calling Manfrotto "amateur" but nearly all the hard news teams will have a lightweight Manfrotto for those shoot'n'run situations and if it's good enough for CNN...
    I used a Mantrotto ART tripod on a two week shoot in the Sudan last year and when I got home I hosed it down ready to sell and it was like new. In fact I kept it.

Velbon and the really cheap stuff is best avoided completely. Sachtler is way too expensive so...
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-30-2007 at 12:03 PM.

4. Default

Thanks for the info, ive been looking at Mantrotto on ebay to see what prices they go for however there are loads and im not sure which would be best.
    It also seems that there are a lot of tripod legs and heads sold seperatly, maybe this is a better way of buying it by getting the two pieces seperatly.
    Is there any particular versions of Mantrotto head and legs that I should look for. Ideally I cant really spend above 100

Post advertising

HI! Your forum is very interessing and my information will be good for you (I hope)

Mark W - links removed, please contribute anything about editing / filming but lay off the spam.
    Last edited by Mark W; 04-02-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: pron spam

Quote Originally Posted by rgrebby View Post
    Thanks for the info, ive been looking at Mantrotto on ebay to see what prices they go for however there are loads and im not sure which would be best.
    It also seems that there are a lot of tripod legs and heads sold seperatly, maybe this is a better way of buying it by getting the two pieces seperatly.
    Is there any particular versions of Mantrotto head and legs that I should look for. Ideally I cant really spend above 100
    I use manfreotto 525 legs and 503 fluid head for my Sony FX1. Don't go for anything less than the 503 head though.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Mills View Post
    I use manfreotto 525 legs and 503 fluid head for my Sony FX1. Don't go for anything less than the 503 head though.
    Higher number the better?

Hmmm....sometimes yes.

Best thing to do is have a good read of their site:

tripods, heads, monopods, light stands, camera supports, lighting supports ,professional tripod - Home

Blog Entries

Ditto about libecs. My friend has one and it cost loads and is very smooth to use but it is far too heavy for anything you would want to lug about.

She offered to swap it for my very tatty vinten / manfrotto pro 5 - I declined.

Don't know if it;s always true but in this particular case it is. The 503 head is far superior to the 501.
    I've never heard mention of a 502 so dunno if it exists.