Thread: Hi8 camera from 2002 can't record in hi8 mode only 8mm

1. Default Hi8 camera from 2002 can't record in hi8 mode only 8mm

I recently bought a used Hi8 Camera with paranormal nightvision mode and everything seem to be fine except when I tried it... the salesman sent me 3 8mm tapes which recorded fairly poor due to dirty heads so I cleaned the video heads first blowing air to it then I use alcohol and chamois pads and a bit of cotton swaps for the rest... but then I decided I should use try a hi8 tape and tried it... the quality was horrible with distorted lines all over... I tried the other 8mm tape I just removed and it played better and record just fine... so I thought may it needed to dry. Once again I tried the hi8 tape and nothing, tried a new hi8 tape and nothing... tried the 8mm and it works... so my question is.... why my camera doesn't like the preferred hi8 mode?

Blog Entries

Because its broken?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    Because its broken?
    I have no idea at least give me advice what it might be so I send it to repair knowing what it is.

Blog Entries

A quite common fault is the sensor which detects which type of tape has been inserted. But, having said that, if you're going to send it for repair anyway, won't the technician be able to tell you? When I send my car in for repair, I just tell the guy what happens and he works it out and fixes it. I don't have to tell him what the technical term is, and I dont expect you would have to do the same. Especially when you'll probably be wrong.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 03-28-2007 at 09:00 AM.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Turn Media View Post
    A quite common fault is the sensor which detects which type of tape has been inserted. But, having said that, if you're going to send it for repair anyway, won't the technician be able to tell you? When I send my car in for repair, I just tell the guy what happens and he works it out and fixes it. I don't have to tell him what the technical term is, and I dont expect you would have to do the same. Especially when you'll probably be wrong.
    When I insert the hi8 tape hi8 appears on the LCD so I image is more like the circuitry? can you help me know if this is reparable or replaceable?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by peruano View Post
    ....can you help me know if this is reparable or replaceable?
    No.

For goodness sake, why are you flailing around on here asking questions that no one could possibly answer without having the camera in their hands and when we don't have diagnostic equipment that magically works over the internet? Just take it to a blimming repairers?

Also, why on earth did you post this thread in the DVD Authoring section? Perhaps Hardware problems would have been more appropriate?

EDIT - Thread moved to correct section.
    Last edited by Andy Lockwood; 03-29-2007 at 09:06 AM.

Blog Entries

There are two types of 8mm. Standard 8 (sometimes called "normal" 8 ) and super 8. Although both are 8mm wide, they have their sprocket holes in different places. The standard 8 sprockets are next to the frames, the super 8 sprockets are smaller and between the frames. This means that you can have a super8/standard8 projector but the camera will only take Super8 OR standard 8.
    You can't load the wrong film because standard 8 comes on a roll (actually 16mm wide, you turn the film over after recording one half) and super8 comes in a casette.

There is also a single 8, just to add to the confusion, but this system is very rare and only a few cameras were made.

Hope this helps.