Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Band promo

Default Band promo

I'm a busy little bee this week! - Got a few days before the onslaught of serious work, so I've been goofing around uploading a few videos - Here's a cheerful little ditty for you - "All my best friends are dead" by the Skeletal family. Comments welcome.
    Online Video: All my best friends | Veoh Video Network

Blog Entries

It's slick but...

It doesn't quite make it. Technically it's okay, the lighting needs to be looked at but I've seen worse. The backgrounds were okay-ish and the editing wasn't intrusive but... It's quite boring!
    (Sorry to be so blunt.)
    You had ultra-close ups of the pianist's fingers but not of the lead singer (who was lit terribly) for example. In a sort of Ultravox cool way the static camera positions were a good idea but didn't quite come off. I can see a lot of work has gone into the video and am glad that you resisted the temptation to go for gimmicks and tricks, but in avoiding that you slipped into conservatism and a lack of any ooomph.

I hate being negative about videos where a lot of effort has gone into the making but the result lacked interest... sorry.

3. Default

i would have to agree, the lighting was not the best. i like the dark look but it all seemed a bit flat looking. i really didnt like the pulse overlay, i think if it was beating in time it would have looked much better but overall i feel it over powers the rest.

on the other hand the promo is far from shoddy! i would rather watch a well edited video rather than a video with way too may effects, colours and ideas... the was slick, simple and in the main part very fitting to the band and the song.

Cheers for looking everyone - This was a well lit scene which was darkened during the edit to create the required mood. We did other edits for the band, but this was the main mans (guitarist) favourite.
    Filmed through the glass studio wall for the most part with cutaways added later and though I don't pretend to understand the goth style I did enjoy the edit. If I'd known in advance the 'politics' of the shoot i.e. the sulks and uncooperative band members that were disagreeing about the following days 'big gig' I'd have left the camera running while I went for a burger.

5. Default

yeah that sounds about right. bands are often difficult!

Blog Entries

zero, It may have been "well lit" but it wasn't lit particularly well, that's what I meant.

I agree, you can't do much if the band are playing the primadonna cards but it didn't quite work even so. In future it might be worth getting a lighting cameraman to set the mood (and deal with any stroppy musicians!).

Edit: Thinking about it, since it was filmed in the recording studio, it may have been useful to include a few shots clearly showing that, such that the viewer gets an idea of setting. You know the sort of thing, a humungous mixing consol or a long shot through the window with a bloke with headphones in the forground.
    Last edited by Rembrandt Rob; 03-28-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    Edit: Thinking about it, since it was filmed in the recording studio, it may have been useful to include a few shots clearly showing that, such that the viewer gets an idea of setting. You know the sort of thing, a humungous mixing consol or a long shot through the window with a bloke with headphones in the forground.
    Guru - Yes, we had all those shots in one of the edits as well - This was completed a couple of years ago and the final say was down to the band.
    In hindsight, I'd have done a few things differently, but I guess everyone would like to go back on any session to tweak things that aren't just as sweet as they could have been.

Blog Entries

100% agreement. Hindsight is the only accurate science.

I can't understand why bands think that they're born video directors, yet you or I wouldn't dream of telling them "put a bit more bongos in that bit".

Blog Entries

You do, of course, know the answer. They think they've the right because you're just the hired help. For some bizarre reason people become immediate experts as soon as they pay someone to do something for them.

As a complete tangent (but a loosely related rant), I'm still astounded at the level of consumer knowledge about High Definition (and yet everyone thinks they're an expert after their trip to Currys). Latest quote from someone i work with, "Well, Blu Ray discs are blue". Oh dear.

Quote Originally Posted by The Guru View Post
    100% agreement. Hindsight is the only accurate science.

I can't understand why bands think that they're born video directors, yet you or I wouldn't dream of telling them "put a bit more bongos in that bit".
    LOL.... hear hear!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast