Thread: Newbie Starting Out

Default Newbie Starting Out

Hi guys,

This is my first post and my first attempt at creating a site with lots of video content.

Background: A client wants a site to display his football (soccer) coaching videos and demonstrations for a fee of course.

I was just wondering about video editing software to achieve this.

Any advice or pointers in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

If this is in the wrong section please let me know

Regards,
    D

For what it's worth.......

If I was a soccer coach and I wanted to sell coaching DVDs I'd obviously want a site that was going to show off my products to best effect.

Having a nice-looking, easy to use site is, of course, a pre-requisite that you no doubt don't need telling about.

But I'd also want careful attention to the way my DVDs are presented. I'd like site visitors to be able to view seriously well-edited highlight clips that really sell the product.

I'd trust any good website creator to do the website bit. But if he's never used video editing software before I wouldn't be so confident that he'd deliver on the seriously well-edited highlight clips.

I'd probably ask the site creator to outsource the editing expertise.

Bert: Thanks for the comments. I am the site designer and have substancial experience in writing easy to navigate websites.

I was thinking about converting the video into flash files for easy viewing on the web. What are your thoughts on this?

D

Well Flash is fast-becoming the standard delivery format. I still prefer WMV personally, but the crucial consideration is encoding it to a streamable bandwidth whilst retaining quality.

An alternative is to have higher quality movies that require complete download before viewing. H.264 MOV files are good for this. Maybe use a combination of both if server space allows.

The first hurdle is to make great clips. Am I right in assuming that the coaching DVDs are already in existence?

The movies will be filmed in the next few weeks. We therefore have some input in how they are produced and provided to us in a suitable format.

What format would be best for either Flash conversion or MOV or WMV conversion?

I appreciate your help and will post the links to the site when they are finished.

D

For me, the best format prior to any conversion would be DV AVI.

Most good NLE's will do the conversion to Flash/MOV/WMV, but there are also plenty of freeware standalone conversion applications out there.

Bert: Sorry but what is DV AVI and what are NLE's?

D

Oh Lordy.....

I think you need some serious Googling time. Sorry, but the knowledge you seek cannot be provided in a few forum replies. The info is out there.