Thread: Finished DVD is jittery and jumpy

Default Finished DVD is jittery and jumpy

Hello all I am new to the board and in need of some advice!

I am making an animation. I am creating the frames in photoshop, editing the footage in premiere, and doing some little effects to a couple of clips with after effects.

From what I read of similar problems when I was lurking on this board earlier on, it seems as though I am experiencing an age old problem: the video plays fine and looks great on my PC, but then when I burn it onto DVD (nero) and watch it on a DVD player connected to my TV, it jumps up and down, jitters around and every now and again the top of the screen bleeds out into the black bars a little bit. I also get jagged edges!

I read somewhere that sometimes if you 'render' footage too often it can lose quality- I though rendering was when you press Enter on your keypad and watched the preview. I suppose I've done that a couple of times, is that the cause?

Is it possible that exporting things back and forth between premiere and after effects would damge the footage? I wouldnt have thought so, both being adobe products and presumably designed to work wth one another?

Also, I am suspicious of how it only looks so awful when I watched a finished, burned DVD of it. What does it mean to check the video's 'bitrate' -- where do I look for it and how to you know if you have a good one or not?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read my post, and I would be so grateful for any advice you could offer

Adam

DVD bitrate can make a difference, 5000kbps upwards will give good quality, but in this case because you are using animated frames the amount of colours in them will be far less than video frames so will use up less bitrate during export.

Ideally the project settings should be set to progressive. If you are using Ppro 2 then apply the anti flicker filter to your timeline and export using the adobe media encoder, MPEG DVD, and make sure that the type of video is progressive(non-interlaced).

Also try and export direct to DVD from premiere being sure to choose a progressive setting for transcoding. Take nero out of the equation just as a test.

Rendering files on the timeline does not damage the video as it always renders from the clips on the timeline and not from previously rendered files. If you untick the recompress box in the export settings then ppro will use the rendered files (clips with the green bar over them) for export rather than recompressing them again.

Forgot to mention. Desaturate the video very slightly as TVs tend to show a brighter picture. this may be causing the colour to bleed.
    Last edited by miwhel; 03-28-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Canon, Edius, Final Cut Studio, Always Progressive, Promotional Video Production

Quote Originally Posted by miwhel View Post
    DVD bitrate can make a difference, 5000kbps upwards will give good quality, but in this case because you are using animated frames the amount of colours in them will be far less than video frames so will use up less bitrate during export.

Ideally the project settings should be set to progressive. If you are using Ppro 2 then apply the anti flicker filter to your timeline and export using the adobe media encoder, MPEG DVD, and make sure that the type of video is progressive(non-interlaced).

Also try and export direct to DVD from premiere being sure to choose a progressive setting for transcoding. Take nero out of the equation just as a test.

Rendering files on the timeline does not damage the video as it always renders from the clips on the timeline and not from previously rendered files. If you untick the recompress box in the export settings then ppro will use the rendered files (clips with the green bar over them) for export rather than recompressing them again.

Forgot to mention. Desaturate the video very slightly as TVs tend to show a brighter picture. this may be causing the colour to bleed.
    Thanks for a great post, you have given me a lot to look at, thanks!

I used my DVD player to look at the bitrate of the video, and it's average is way above 5000 so I'm not worried about that anymore, thanks.

I didnt know that I could export straight to a DVD from premiere ; I'm using ver 6.0, and it doesnt seem to be a pro version, do you think I might be able to do that?

thanks for all your advice