Thread: Non branded battery

Default Non branded battery

I have a Sony HC44 and would like to buy a longer-lasting battery. A certain auction site is offering the one i want (np-fp90) for a lot cheaper than a proper Sony one so is there any reason why i should pay the extra for the branded one or will the generic one do the same job?

Blog Entries

I have never bought a branded battery and I'm still here to tell the tale

Generic ones are well worth the money.

Like Marc, I've never bought branded batteries. I'm not sure whether generic ones have the same lifespan, as I've never had one die yet.

The savings to be made bybuying generic instead of branded make it an easy buying decision.

I agree with both of the above, bought a generic battery off ebay for my panasonic cam and have had no problems whatsoever. been using it now for 18 months and still going strong.

I have a high-capacity generic battery on one of my cameras and it works fine, and I've had good previous experiences with generic batteries. But now I bought a generic replacement for the NP-FP90 and it surely lasts a lot but the InfoLithium system is screwed. After I first charged it, it displayed the remaining battery time correctly, not now it only displayes the low battery warning even when it's fully loaded. And the Rec LED flashes continuously because of that so it became useless as an indicator of whether the camera is recording or not. So it sucks.

Ah yes - Sony's InfoLithium feature. Have heard of this problem before on generics.

Sony apparently recommend that you only use InfoLithium batteries with products that carry the InfoLithium mark.