Thread: Software based video mixer

Default Software based video mixer

I am interested in recording from multiple sources onto my laptop by means of a software based video mixer. I will be using it to record video and audio from inside my vehicle during track events and such.
    Now I know there are standalone units out on the market that merge all the sources and output to a recording device but I would prefer a software based unit that I could run from my laptop. I can imagine there is much more flexibility with using a laptop as opposed to a standalone hard-wired unit with obvious physical limitations not to mention software that that individual manufacturer limits you to.
    So here are my questions:
    1. What video mixer would you suggest that allows real-time multi-channel recording from multiple sources via multiple USB and serial port input?
    2. Is it even possible for a Windows XP PC to run multiple inputs from two USB ports and the serial port?

If you know of a website or keyword(s) I could search that would be appreciated as well. I am quite knew to this so I can imagine that even “video mixer” might not be an up to date term. Heck I would have a hard time explaining to someone what the difference between a blog, discussion board, forum and usenet is

Thanks

long awaited BUMP

I don't know of such a piece of kit. Furthermore, you mentioned USB a few times. Capturing any video through a USB is a total No-No anyways.

Can you not afford to capture two streams and simply edit them later?

So you say just use two cameras and then edit them later. I have been thinking about that and it would give me a lot more options in terms of editing.
    The only problem I have is the sync. How would you sync cameras facing a different direction? By voice maybe? What if I mount one camera outside where I cannot use my voice as a sync? Any suggestions?

Clapper boards are good for this, as are camera flashes if getting the board on both camera's at the start of the shot isn't that convenient.

David.

Quote Originally Posted by Istok View Post
    So you say just use two cameras and then edit them later. I have been thinking about that and it would give me a lot more options in terms of editing.
    The only problem I have is the sync. How would you sync cameras facing a different direction? By voice maybe? What if I mount one camera outside where I cannot use my voice as a sync? Any suggestions?
    if they are filming in different directions an d are picking up different sound then they hardly need syncing do they?? I'm missing something here. The two inpouts need something in common before syncing makes sense.

If I do a split screen or picture in picture it would be noticable if they are out of sync.
    One cam is covering the approach and the other is facing out to the rear of the vehicle so I guess I would have to use a flash sync and mount them both inside.

what about this, there is a download available...it outputs in hi quality if required...so it might do the job...you can at least try it first

Vara Software : Welcome