Thread: Converting 16:9 to 4:3

Default Converting 16:9 to 4:3

Okay, this sounds weird, but I have a video that I shot in 16:9, but I want it in 4:3. But I don't want to lose any information, so what I want is a 16:9 video size, but have the black bars on the top and bottom to make it 4:3. Does that make sense? Can I use TMPGEnc for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Phlibbit View Post
    Does that make sense?
    No You state you want to go from 16:9 to 4:3, that means you will loose a part of your image on the sides, if you play 4:3 on a 16:9 tv you get black bars on the sides, not the top. I don't understand how you can have a 16:9 size look like 4:3 with black bars on top and bottom??

Okay, this sounds weird, but I have a video that I shot in 16:9, but I want it in 4:3. But I don't want to lose any information, so what I want is a 16:9 video size, but have the black bars on the top and bottom to make it 4:3. Does that make sense? Can I use TMPGEnc for this?
    If this is a DVD then don't do anything. People with 4:3 TV playing a DVD will see exactly what you want already. Those with 16:90 TV will see it in all it's glory. You might have to tweak the display mode of your DVD player but that's all.

Well, the reason I want it like that is because I want to put the video on You Tube; if I submit the original 16:9, then it gets squished up. That's why I want it in a 4:3 frame with the bars on the top and bottom.

Default The penny drops?

After much head scratching I think I've finally worked out what you're trying to do. I was thinking along the same lines as Noa - "black bars on top and bottom"? Surely that is the wrong way round...

What you are trying to do is show the whole of the 16:9 image right? Without chopping away at the sides. Without squishing everything up so everyone looks skinny.

What you are effectively trying to do is shrink the 16:9 image down a bit so that it fits completely within the Youtube 4:3 'frame', and you want to acheive this by sticking a bit of black video top and bottom to make it 4:3.

Please tell me I've got that right?

All that said, no amount of head scratching has brought me an actual solution that I can suggest. I've tried tinkering with Premiere, Moviemaker and Virtualdub, with no joy, and I've had enough. Someone will no doubt be along with an obvious solution soon. My head hurts.

YES! That's exactly what I want. Thanks for figuring that out :P Now if I could just figure out how to actually do it...

Blog Entries

Can I use TMPGEnc for this?
    Yes. Just crop the video.

I'd use quicktime pro, (unless your editing software has cropping options in it's export section)
    open the video/project, select export .. [choose your format] and in the video options section choose 4:3 and preserve the apsect ratio using 'letterbox'.

job done