Thread: changing aspect ratio

Default changing aspect ratio

Hey,

does anybody know a simple way to resize a 4:3 avi file to 16:9 ratio? I want to resize, convert and burn the file to play on a normal dvd player. The original file is a very large HD file so it is gonna take ages to import/resize/export as a new movie in a video editing app. is there a program (for mac) that will simply change the aspect ratio of the movie, similar to when transforming a still image size in photoshop? It might not work this way, i'm fairly new to this. I trimmed the file to 20 seconds (full file is 1hr long) and it took 5 minutes to resize and export in IDVD, and the output quality was poop. I've got squeeze, after effects, shake, premier and visual hub if anyone knows a simple way to do it in these apps.

thanks guys

dren.

Quote Originally Posted by drennan View Post
    Hey,

does anybody know a simple way to resize a 4:3 avi file to 16:9 ratio? I want to resize, convert and burn the file to play on a normal dvd player. The original file is a very large HD file so it is gonna take ages to import/resize/export as a new movie in a video editing app. is there a program (for mac) that will simply change the aspect ratio of the movie, similar to when transforming a still image size in photoshop? It might not work this way, i'm fairly new to this. I trimmed the file to 20 seconds (full file is 1hr long) and it took 5 minutes to resize and export in IDVD, and the output quality was poop. I've got squeeze, after effects, shake, premier and visual hub if anyone knows a simple way to do it in these apps.

thanks guys

dren.
    Simple? yes. Quick? maybe not.

Start a standard def widescreen project in Premiere. Import your high def clip and drop it on the timeline. Scale to fit int he usual way. Export/render out as MPEG2. You now have a widescreen strandard def asset (actually 2. M2V video and WAV audio) to build a DVD from.

I've not tried this so cannot even guess how long it might take.

thanks, i've resolved this now. I tried resizing in premier but it keeps crashing on export for some reason. I used visualhub to convert the avi to dvd format in the end and it automatically changed the aspect ratio to 16:9 as part of the conversion. thanks for the advice. dren