Thread: Sound recording with matrox

Default Sound recording with matrox

Hello all!

I have been experiencing recording sound even with Windows recorder!!!

I have intalled Matrox RTx100 and I've been really happy using it when I capture and edit video, but when I want to record sound using Audition or Windows recorder(!) I have a bad luck...

My equipment is a small soundcraft mixing desk, a Cambridge audio amp and an xlr microphone and I am using xp. I don't know if the problem is with the matrox card because when i connect a pc without matrox with the rest of the equipment it works great, crystal clear sound!

I hope somebody can give me an answer! Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
    Hello all!

I have been experiencing recording sound even with Windows recorder!!!

I have intalled Matrox RTx100 and I've been really happy using it when I capture and edit video, but when I want to record sound using Audition or Windows recorder(!) I have a bad luck...

My equipment is a small soundcraft mixing desk, a Cambridge audio amp and an xlr microphone and I am using xp. I don't know if the problem is with the matrox card because when i connect a pc without matrox with the rest of the equipment it works great, crystal clear sound!

I hope somebody can give me an answer! Thnx

Give you an answer to what? You haven't told us what the problem is yet!

Seriously, what problems are you facing? no sound at all or what? What connection are you using for sound.

remember that when using the RT.x100 the microphone plug hanging out of the Matrox card is the one that goes in the PC mic socket and your actual mic goes into the socket on the matrox card.

Oups typing mistake! I cannot record sound at all! When I try to record there is only static sound...

I'm using a phono cable running from the blue plug on the PC to the amplifier and mixing desk. The microphone is connected with an XLR to the mixing desk, then an other phono cable is going back to the PC (green port).

The PC has got a matrox card installed that has a cable with a composite and s-video in/out ports and also a jack at the back , plus the firewire.

I am trying to record without using the card to make it easier and it still doesn't work. I have also tried a different pc without a matrox card with the same equipment and it works fine. This makes me think that the card has sth to do with it.

Perhaps this makes it a bit more clear?!
    Last edited by DeeD; 03-21-2007 at 03:19 PM.

Are you trying to play something from the PC at the same time as you speak, mix the two together and recording it back onto the PC? If you are, that might be a problem as, I "think", you need two sound cards to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeD View Post
    Oups typing mistake! I cannot record sound at all! When I try to record there is only static sound...

I'm using a phono cable running from the blue plug on the PC to the amplifier and mixing desk. The microphone is connected with an XLR to the mixing desk, then an other phono cable is going back to the PC (green port).

The PC has got a matrox card installed that has a cable with a composite and s-video in/out ports and also a jack at the back , plus the firewire.

I am trying to record without using the card to make it easier and it still doesn't work. I have also tried a different pc without a matrox card with the same equipment and it works fine. This makes me think that the card has sth to do with it.

Perhaps this makes it a bit more clear?!

Quote Originally Posted by LeMartinet View Post
    Are you trying to play something from the PC at the same time as you speak, mix the two together and recording it back onto the PC? If you are, that might be a problem as, I "think", you need two sound cards to do that.
    I am not trying to record while playing something else. I just record a voice over which sounds like static if I play it back on the computer. It is a bit puzzling as we are three of us who 've seen it and nobody can give an answer. It could be windows settings.

I still think we could try to eliminate the fact that you might have things connected up wrongly.

I have no such issues with recording anything using a mic-in socket and I have the same Matrox card installed.

Make sure you have the green jack plugin coming out of the Matrox card break-out box plugged into the mic-in socket on your PC. You microphone or line-in then needs to connect to the mic socket on the Matrox card. Is this the setup you have?

Also, you did say this was for voice-overs. You are aware i hope that Premiere voice-over recording does not work in RTX mode projects don't you? This is a hardware limitation and is well documented.