Thread: Light Saber affect on a basketball

Default Light Saber affect on a basketball

I'm doing a project for a company and i had an idea of donig the light saber type affect on a basketball while a guy does a dunk. I have Adobe Primiere and Sony Vegas, I would probly need a antoher program, i konw this already. But what program do i need and whats the best way to do this? Thank You

what exactly do u want to do again?
    Pentium 4 2.4C
    1GB Kingston HyperX PC4000 Dual-Channel
    Abit IS7-G
    2x80GB Western Digital 7200RPM 8MB Cache RAID 0
    ATI All-In-Wonder 9600 Pro
    Sony DVD-ROM
    NEC CD-RW
    NEC 19\" CRT

I want the ball to glow like a light saber. Someone is going to be dunking it through a hoop in a scene. Somehow, I would like to know how can I make the ball glow like a light saber while he is dunking?

to make lightsaber duals the program to use is "AlamDV" But since u want the basketball to glow my best solution would be to first take a frame capture in Premiere "file-export-frame" and import it in photoshop (u have photoshop right?). Make your glow there, u decide how nice u want it, then export only the glow, import the project file in premiere and it should fit over the frame u captured. Then u keyframe the glow to follow the ball, (this might be a bit tricky since u have to take it through the whole path the ball is taking).
    This is the only way I can think of, but then again I aint all that good with Premiere... anyway..hope that helped.

All you need is a photo editing package that can open a .flm file. Something like Photoshop maybe.

Export your footage as a .FLM file, open in Photoshop and draw away. Plenty of tutorials about if you look but a quick guide follows on the end of this post.

Once your 'rotoscoping' is complete, save back to the .flm file and import the .flm file back into Premiere. hey presto, it's done. For a slam dunk, over ina second, this shouldn't take you more than an evening

Quick Light Sabre guide.
    ----------------------------

Open .FLM file in Photoshop.

Do this for each frame

Select the area to be the light sabre. Should be easy in this case, just a circle.

Cut and paste the selection so it appears as a new layer.

Paint the new layer flat white ( all light sabres are white, it's only the glow that changes colour)

Go into layer properties for the 'white bit'. Select outer-glow and choose your colour and amount of glow.

Do all this for each frame.

Flatten the resulting image. Save back as a .flm - done.

I'd keep a working copy of your work as a .PSD though.

thx guys i'm gonig to see what i can do this weekand. Simple explanations are a big help, i could understand everything

i tried to do it i got the clip in photoshop but from there on it was madness. i'm not very familiar with photoshop i got the ball in another layer, but i can find outer glow, where is this option located?

I suspect you're looking for it as a filter. it isn't. Select the layer itself and then from the menu you want 'layer properties'. It one of the many many options (like bevel and shadow) in the dialog that comes up. You want 'outer glow' rather than inner glow from memory.

... and of course, your fun starts in the frames where the ball is partly obscured. By the hoop or by another player...

Do you have the glow appearing throught he players' fingers or just around the outside of the ball? You might want to play and see what looks best.

I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader...