Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After Effects vs Premiere

1. Default After Effects vs Premiere

I have Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 at the moment, but the effects are rather limited (but workable). I'm wondering about getting After Effects, but I want to know just how much more it can achieve that Premiere can't. These programs are expensive obviously.

Is it just easier or can you actually do more? I'm trying to do special effects such as green-screen, melting people, lasers, etc. I read that After Effects does animation, but I'm not sure if it means cartoonish or animation as in effects like I'm saying.

Finally, if I have both Premiere and After Effects, is it possible to merge them somehow? (share projects or import effects into Premiere)
    Last edited by pftq; 03-13-2007 at 01:42 AM.

Check following link containing some tutorials on AE, this will give you an idea what the program is capable of:
    http://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bi...ts_script.html

For your last question, projects from AE 7 can be imported into Premiere Pro 2.0

Gospel according to St. Millsy Chapter 3 verses 17 to 24....

The Cow is a very good resource for After Effects and what it can achieve. Do spend time watching a bundle of the video tutorials.

Alternatively, give that you are seriously considering a sizeable investment already, consider buying a copy of the Trish and Chris Meyer books (or maybe just the first one). These are about the best there is for After Effects. Maybe borrow one from a lending library? If you can't find one then look for Angie Taylor's new book.

Do downlaod the trail 30 day version of AE from the Adobe website and play with it. There is a not-insignificant learning curve for AE though so don't expect to be able to do everything after a month. Go through some of the video tutorials you find at the cow or videocopilot.net as well as spend time with the Meyer books. It will all be time well spent.

If you are seriously going to do some green screening then look more closely at the Pro version of AE. It comes with a plugin not included in the standard def version, called Keylight. This is pretty much the industry standard as far as I can tell. The company even won an Oscar for their s/w a few years ago (according to their manual). There is a video tutorial on the videocopilot web site using Keylight which is well worth a couple of viewings.

If you are going to invest in the Pro version of AE then think even more seriously about taking the next step. It's not cheap to start with but this step costs even more. Sorry. You also talked about workflow and integration between the apps. If you spend the extra and get the Production Studio Premium from Adobe then for (relatively) only a bit more cash you get the following...

Premiere pro 2 (you already have this it seems)
    After Effect 7 Pro
    Audition 2
    Encore DVD 2
    Photoshop CS2
    Illustrator CS2

The real kicker though is that only by buying the Production Studio do you get 'proper' integration between apps. i.e. seamless integration requiring no extra render of AE projects when included in a Premiere tijmeline/sequence and automatic update etc etc.

Amen.
    Last edited by Alan Mills; 03-13-2007 at 01:34 PM.

4. Default

Very good information. Thanks!

I was considering getting an audio program anyways - I might get the Production Studio perhaps.
    Last edited by pftq; 03-14-2007 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pftq View Post
    Very good information. Thanks!

I was considering getting an audio program anyways - I might get the Production Studio perhaps.
    http://www.videoforums.co.uk/video-e...emium-win.html

6. Default

I see there's both a full version and a version for people with Premiere Pro 2. However, my Premiere Standard came with my Vaio Computer. I then bought Premiere Pro2 as an upgrade.

Would it work that well if I used the upgrade version of Studio Premium or should I go for a complete install?

Also I've read that it can only be installed once. What if my computer crashed or I uninstalled it? (my computer is pretty old and I imagine in a few years would need a new one).

I've found some "Academic" versions that are incredibly cheap. No information on the main site though... what's the catch?
    Last edited by pftq; 03-15-2007 at 03:37 AM.

I see there's both a full version and a version for people with Premiere Pro 2. However, my Premiere Standard came with my Vaio Computer. I then bought Premiere Pro2 as an upgrade.

Would it work that well if I used the upgrade version of Studio Premium or should I go for a complete install?
    Upgrade version is the same as the 'full install' as you call it. the upgrade is just a mecahnism tolet existing customers have it a bit chealer, that's all. Check with Adpobe to see if you existing upgrade to PPro2 will allow you to 'upgrade' it to the full PS.

Also I've read that it can only be installed once. What if my computer crashed or I uninstalled it? (my computer is pretty old and I imagine in a few years would need a new one).
    Can only be installe donce at a time for sure. Aftre all you only have a single licence remember. As for re-installing. Never been through it but they must allow this. I'm sure a calll to Adpobe support or a read of their FAQ will answer this.[/quote]

I've found some "Academic" versions that are incredibly cheap. No information on the main site though... what's the catch?
    You have to be at school to licence this or be in full time education anyway - an be able to prove it! Don't know about any restrictions but wouldn't be surpised if it came with a few. If it's a 'learning' version it might be missing certain export options maybe so that you can't make money from your work with it. Just guessing here so check it out. Also, I've heard that some 'academic versions' of some s/w comes without hard copy manuals.

8. Default

Well I mean - is the Adobe Premiere Pro 2 not going to be as good with Dynamic Link since it is installed seperately.

They're about the same price on Amazon currently. I think I'll take my chances with the full version.

Well I mean - is the Adobe Premiere Pro 2 not going to be as good with Dynamic Link since it is installed seperately.

They're about the same price on Amazon currently. I think I'll take my chances with the full version.
    I know you only get dynamic link with the production studio so use the versio0n that comes with that to be sure

10. Default

Ok so there is another Adobe Premiere Pro 2 on the upgrade version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast