Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HVX200 P2 card mxf to Vegas

1. Default HVX200 P2 card mxf to Vegas

The panasonic HVX200 creates .mxf files on its P2 memory, and I thought that these were supported since Vegas 6, and I have vegas 7b, but the.mxf files do not seem drag to the time line. Is it only Sony .mxf files that are supported?

I can't seem to drag and drop the P2 files even when I set the recording mode to 480i 24/P.

Is it necessary to pay another 195 USD for this program
    http://dvfilm.com/raylight/index.htm

Failing drag and drop (which would be a big blow), is there a way to capture? No device is shown or found one the HD capture tab at the bottom

Tim
    Last edited by timtak; 03-12-2007 at 12:33 PM.

2. Default

Yes, it seems that to use the P2 cards, one has to purchase additional software. Barry Green tends to recommend Raylight which allows drag and drop.
    http://tinyurl.com/2xf3gk
    http://tinyurl.com/28dndt
    But there is also a conversion product from cineform.

Raylight is also recommended by the Panasonic FAQ
    http://tinyurl.com/7whxl
    Which editing systems are compatible with the HVX200?
    From Apple: Final Cut Pro; from Avid: NewsCutter® XP, NewsCutter® Adrenaline™ FX and S/B Xpress Pro HD; from Canopus: Edius HD. For other systems a company called DVFilm has produced conversion software for the P2 files called Raylight. Raylight is a real-time DVCPROHD codec and MXF file translation program for Windows. It makes the camera's MXF files appear as standard AVI files to the editing system, allowing you to view or edit HVX200 footage in Sony Vegas, Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Windows Media Player, and others. Download at http://dvfilm.com/raylight.

Blog Entries

Nice camera - glad you sussed things out.

Have you found a source of cheaper cards for the camera ? Just wondered cos they seem a bit expensive to me.

4. Default

I have been looking on the ebay of Japan for HVX200 related stuff here (you will be able to see the pictures, if not read the Japanese)
    http://search.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/search/auc?p=hvx200
    but at the moment there are only new cameras and some generic batteries at about 60USD = 35 UKP a throw. There are no p2 cards even though the auctions are awash with every other type of memory.

I would have thought that if they exist they would be on yahoo auctions japan, so I guess that they do not exist yet. And according to a post on this or another forum they may not be all that fast in coming because they contain more than just memory but some sort of processor too.

I guess that a hard disk with firewire is the way to go. Or just carry a laptop around and port to that every few minutes. I can't even afford the Raylight converter software to let me use Sony Vegas yet so I will be using MiniDV and it will be a while before I get any more memory. Someone else paid for the camera.

Tim

Unhappy I Bought a new HVX200

Just purchased a new HVX200A, I downloaded the trial version of "Raylight" and converted my first videos off the p2 card and deleted them. to my suprise, they have a watermark on the avi file. that sucked... good thing this was not for a client (I would not have deleted the files) guess I will have to spend the $195 if i want this to work. wish i knew this before i purchased the camera. It would be nice if Panasonic would give you the option of saving the files on the p2 card to mpeg-2 format.... you could store much more video that way.

You could always copy the contents of the P2 card onto tape. This will of course reduce the resolution but get you by until you fork out for Raylight. It does work well and I think is worth the purchase. I wish Sony and Panasonic would learn to get on with each other so we could edit our videos without having to buy the plug in.

Default Card to Tape

Thank you for the QUICK response, I did not know I could copy from P2 cards to tape. I am sure it will tell me in instructions, this camera has a real learning curve to it. I am starting to get used to it and really like it. I just don't have $195 right now to spend on this software. Again.... Thank You!

8. Default

Never have I made such a poor purchase due to the difficulty of using files from this camera. The Cards are not even compatible with modern laptop computers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timtak View Post
    Never have I made such a poor purchase due to the difficulty of using files from this camera. The Cards are not even compatible with modern laptop computers.
    The cards have a maximum transfer rate of 1.2Gbps so that they can cope with the much higher transfer rates of professional gear. The fastest transfer rate for standard laptop interfaces USB/Firewire/SDHC is way below that.
    Tim

If you have a laptop with a PCMCI slot they just plug straight into them. BUT like you say most "modern laptops" don't have these slots. I've had this camera for some time and I've never had a problem with it or the files. I have a simple workflow shoot with the camera to the P2 card. Then copy the files to my editing PC via a USB cable. Drag it on the time line in Vegas. Play with it for hours.

I suppose if you have had problems, then it's just not the right camera for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast