Thread: HD or second hand XL1S

Default HD or second hand XL1S

Hello, im new here and would like some advice on buying a new video camera.

I do lots of stills photography and want to get into more serious videoing.

I shoot only as a hobby and have a budget about 1000, and want to shoot mainly sports action, including slow motion and shooting at night. For broadcasting on the web and dvd quality.

I have been using an old camera Samsung VP-d20 and its about time I upgraded.

I have been looking at the sony hdv range and new JVC Everio GZ-HD7 (due out soon). But will I get better features with a newer camera and HD (which to be honest I will not use). Will the image quality be better than an XLS1 when watched on a standard TV.

But also my friend has told be about second hand cameras with more features like the XL1S. I would like to learn as much as I can with the camera I buy.

Any advice would be good.

ASH

Blog Entries

I would put money on the canon being much better than the jvc for picture quality.

The canon is a serious camera, the JVC is not, it's just one of the latest gadgets that camera salespeople would have us believe is a gillion times better then last years model.

Also, at present tape is the most flexible, most editable, most mature medium. It gives better pic quality as it records at a higher bit rate, this applies to hdv and dv cameras.

Given you are not going to distribute anything on HDV you dont actually need HDV - get the xl2 it is a real camera, the jvc is a toy in comparison.

Thanks for that quick replie,

From the second hand cameras i have looked at, most of the sellers discribe the age in terms of numbers of hours of use or the camera.

Could you give me some ball park figures of what the number of hours mean in terms of life.

For example, new condition would be ??? hours, medium use would be???, excessive use is??? in hours.

Any guide would be good.

Thanks again

ASH

Blog Entries

The life of the heads in a camera are limited, figures like 3000 hours are often cited.

If the hours are a few hundred then that is no concern, if it is around or over 1000 ish then caution may be advised as the camera may have had a long hard life.

I got the canon. Got one with very low hours and looks brand new.

Thanks for the help with this purchase.