Thread: Capture Card / Device please.

Default Capture Card / Device please.

Hi. Can anyone tell me how I might find out whether I do in fact have a video capture card installed on my PC ? I do remember that along time ago I had one installed, but so far I have checked my hardware wizard and all it is telling me is that I have a Legacy ? Video capture device installed that is working properly. I am not sure whether this is in fact the one I had installed or whether it is a default Windows capture device ? I have successfully installed Windows Movie Maker 2.0 but I can not capture video. Movie Maker is telling me : " No video capture device detected. Please varify that a Video capture device is properly installed and try again. "
    Could anyone kindly help me here ?

Thanks Musivideo.

Western Europe

Check the sockets on your graphics card to see does it have any yellow, red or white connectors, check your PCI ports to see if there are any video/audio connectors including Firewire installed in them and finally check to see if you have Firewire sockets/1394/i-Link? Also look in the Device Manager for IEEE/1394.

Default Re : Capture Card.

Thanks Nikosony.
    I'm not sure at all how to search and check all that within my PC, but your help is greatly appreciated and I will certainly try. Thankyou indeed.

Finding that is easy, just look on the backside of you pc if you find connectors that look like below image (klik link)
    It looks a bit like an usb connector, only bigger.

If you don't find that, you can buy such a card real cheap and install it easily, if you don't like opening a pc, you can ask a local pc shop to do it, it will take then 5 minutes.

No capturedevice detected means that your camera is not recognised, when you get that message, is you camera connected to your pc? and what have you used to connect it? A usb cable? If that is the case, a firewirecard and cable are a better option to transfer your footage to your pc.

Default Re : Video Capture etc

Hi noa.
    Silly me ! I think the dialogue box : " No capture device detected " is coming up simply because I don't have a camera or similar connected !
    I thought it meant that a capture CARD only has not been connected.
    Anyway, as soon as I've filmed some footage I will follow your instructions, connect my camera and then follow the steps to capture the video.
    Thankyou for being so helpful. If OK with you I will keep in touch as I proceed.
    I'll send you a DVD when we've finished, but I have a long way to go.
    This is my first attempt at video editing. I'm looking forward to it .

Thanks, Musivideo