Thread: How to reaarange clips in the timeline

Default How to reaarange clips in the timeline

I have 3 questions that may seem overly simple but here goes.
    I have started with digitised footage of 45, 40 min dv tapes in AVI format, a lot of Gig's
    I have then opened 4 projects and sorted out the rough cuts into the timeline in no particular order. I now wish to rearrange the timeline into the correct running order before I fine trim them all.

1) how do I rearrange the sequence of clips in the timeline window. I have tried the "copy" and insert function but it just seems so long winded. Is there a way to just drag the clips, make a space and drag them into the correct order?

2) can i import individual clips from a timeline in another project into the one I am working on at the time?

3) I have tried to export 38 minutes of footage from timeline to a 250 GB external hard drive. During the rendering process, it stops and says that the disk is full, even though in the render progress meter it says i have 235GB free?

Please be basic with any instructions as I am relatively new to this !

Any help would be apreciated.

Thankyou

Stuart

For your first 2 questions it's important that you tell which editor you use, permiere elements or premiere pro?
    The 3rd question could be that your external harddrive has been formatted as FAT32, you can check that by rightclicking on the drive in explorer and click "properties", what does it say under filesystem? FAT or NTFS?

Default Hard disk

Thanks, I have checked and the ext drive says FAT32. Do I need to change it and if so will it muck up saving normal pc work to the same drive once changed?

I,m on Prem Pro 6.5 btw and have since sussed how to rearrange the timeline clips.

Thanks

Stuart

Yep, you'll probably have to reformat the drive to NTFS. FAT32 won't let you store any file over 3gig, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by stuartm View Post
    Thanks, I have checked and the ext drive says FAT32. Do I need to change it and if so will it muck up saving normal pc work to the same drive once changed?

I,m on Prem Pro 6.5 btw and have since sussed how to rearrange the timeline clips.

Thanks

Stuart
    For premiere pro 6.5 I can't help you, since that differs a lot from the 1.5 I'm using now. Maybe other users here can assist you on that.
    External drives are sometimes formatted as fat32, no problem if you are not into editing but if so, it has one big disadvantage, fat32 does not support filesizes larges then 4gig. That's the reason why you got this errormessage.

Therefore you must format to ntfs, be sure to backup all data from that drive as it will be erased during converting. After you converted it will function normally, meaning you can save anything on it but, and that's very important, you can save files bigger then 4gig on it so you won't get the errormessage again.

To format to ntfs you can rightclick on the drive in explorer, choose "format" and select "ntfs" in the filesystem selection box.
    You can also use "convert.exe to do that, see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...onvertfat.mspx
    for more info.

Default Thanks

Thanks chaps, will do that.